Thread: Buescher Double Bell Mouthpiece Shank Question

1. Buescher Double Bell Mouthpiece Shank Question

To All,
    I have a 1924ish Buescher Double Bell in my collection.
    The mouthpiece receiver is in good shape with no sign of damage or modification.
    It is a really nice horn, but appears to take an odd size mouthpiece shank.
    The Bach 6 1/2AL I use for my Conn 30I goes in way too far.
    The Denis Wick 6BM I use for my older Bessons does not go in far enough.
    Suspect I will eventually have a medium to small adapter custom machined.
    Any similar experiences with Buescher Euphs out there?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. I would recommend just putting electrical tape on the 6 1/2 AL

Quote Originally Posted by cognitofalcon View Post
    I would recommend just putting electrical tape on the 6 1/2 AL
    I'd probably use that stuff for plumbing threads that I think is called "Teflon tape" (no gooey adhesive to deal with) or something like that. I've used it on tuba mouthpieces successfully. Then, I'd continue my search for a mouthpiece that actually fits. You won't be happy until you find one.
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Symphonic Winds (board/treasurer)
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (tuba/board/treasurer)

4. I would go with a custom adapter. You will need a tenor mouthpiece to very slim medium shank (for the receiver) adapter custom machined. Also, I would recommend the 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece over the 6BM in any case. The older American Style baritones (of which this is an example) rarely play well when using a larger modern Wick mouthpiece. I normally use either a Bach 6 1/2AL or Bach 5G (both of which play "smaller" than the 6BM or 6BS) on my Conn 24I and my old 1941 Holton DB.

Using tape (of any sort) insulates the mouthpiece from the horn and reduces the conducted vibration in both directions. The feedback to your lips through the mouthpiece will be different and the sound generated out the bell will also be different. You will tend to lose some of the brilliance or "shimmer" in the higher overtones. This is a bigger issue for euphonium than for tuba.
    Last edited by daruby; 05-10-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    Sterling Virtuoso 1052HS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HS baritone & Conn 24I/25I euphonium
    New England Brass Band/Metropolitan Wind Symphony
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

5. Thanks,
    I have been leaning toward a custom adapter. Will have to locate a good fine work machinist. I basically use the 6BM on a Besson New Standard and the Bach on almost everything else. Interestingly enough, I also have a Holton DB circa 1941 in the collection. The Holton has a "US" engraving near the Holton engraving. Suspect it spent its early years as a Military Horn.
    Jim

6. Jim, where are you located? I sold my old Holton S/N 143428 to a pawn shop in Florida. I wondered if you bought it from them? Also, I have had adapters made by Osmun Music in Acton, MA or by Terry Pierce in NYC. Terry does a nice job on tenor to Conn 24I (slightly smaller than medium) adapters.

Doug

7. I believe DEG makes a "Tenor-to-European" adaptor that allows a standard "small shank" trombone mouthpiece to be used in a mid-sized receiver like the older Bessons. Here's one on ebay, and if you google "DEG Tenor to European Adaptor" you will get several vendors, all in the $20 to $25 range including shipping.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1316127...&ul_noapp=true

8. Doug,
    I am in Orono, Maine when I am stateside. My second career has me overseas most of the time. The Holton DB came from EBay back in 2011. The lead pipe was leaking and I had it replaced almost immediately. The valve guides are still pretty iffy. The records with me look like it is 146779. Will have to ask Cassandra to verify numbers on the horn. Sounds like I should try to work in a trip to Osmun Music. Previously tried filing down a Tenor to Euro Adapter. I was not accurate enough and it was not a success. Suspect a good machinist would not have a problem. Is Osmun likely to have the measurements for the tenor to Conn 24I adapter on file? That may be the smartest next step.
    Jim

9. Jim,

If you go to Osmun, you should be prepared to bring the mouthpiece and the Buescher DB horn. They can measure the Bach shank and the Buescher receiver on the spot. The Conn 24I may NOT be a good model and they do not have any measurements for the Conn in any case since their leadpipe and mouthpiece work is largely on French Horns and Trumpets.

They have a couple of different Tenor to Bass trombone adapters (DEG and this http://www.osmun.com/mouthpieces/ada...-trombone.html). You could ask them to just turn one down. If you leave the horn and mouthpiece you will get a perfect job done.

Make sure you set up an appointment with either Jim Becker or Bob Osmun to get the work done. Bob Osmun made me a perfect 1" lead pipe extender when my modified Besson Sovereign was playing sharp (before I had the tuning slide extended). He is the mouthpiece guru at Osmun.

Doug Ruby