Thread: Auditioning for University band

1. Auditioning for University band

Hey guys! I am auditioning for a university band and I wanted to know if anyone has recommendations for repetior? I've played the first melodious etudes book for trombone (euphonium) and I am playing Rhapsody for Euphonium for my state colligate jury but I'm not completely sure what the university wants to hear?
    They said that they want two contrasting pieces of music, any recommendations?

That's a recurring question and a good one! I would consider putting up an FAQ section, but the answers would keep changing I suspect.

First, when you play anything anywhere, consider your audience. I always do so when planning a recital, for example. In this case, you need to figure out what your "audience" (usually a panel of 2-5 people) wants to hear. It might be an advantage to choose at one of your two pieces from within the band repertoire.

Second, you are selling your skills, so plan accordingly. There is no certain answer without knowing your abilities. But you want to make yourself sound good, right? So pick two pieces that demonstrate your strengths. You have to make a decision for each piece about whether to choose something at the extreme limit of your skill or whether to play it safer with something you are more sure of.

The standard choice is a slow, pretty piece that demonstrates your musicality, sensitivity, control, etc. A slow Rochut etude would be fine. Or any of the slow, melodic solos euphoniums play would be fine. For the latter, you could do When Jesus Wept, for example. Or Londonderry Air (the Grainger band arrangement has melody in the euphonium).

For a faster piece, if you are good at fast solos this is your chance to show it. Do you have a flashy theme & variations solo you could do? That would be a standard choice. Or you could go for the unusual and play a fast march, such as Rolling Thunder. It has ample technique, and a march is a great way to show your mastery of proper band style. Barnum & Bailey's Favorite would also give you a chance to show off.

You might look over the "Strategies" section in the Audition part of my web site:

http://www.dwerden.com/audition/index.cfm
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Very very helpful thank you so much. I suppose one of my strengths would be that I can play with good tone quality in the higher range but definitely my greatest weakness is a sense of internal rhythm. I was thinking that a nice Rochut and perhaps Nocturn in Eb from the introductory to tenor clef book would be good. I have the vocalise by Rachmoninov down pretty well, thank you for the suggestions, I'll have to add those pieces to my repretior I hadn't heard "When Jesus Wept" until now and it is beautiful