Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Adams is FLAT

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    You could TRY appealing to Adams about the pitch. They might have sympathy and expedite getting you a shorter slide. In any case, those are standard parts and would not have the long wait of a horn, even if they didn't have a batch in stock right now. They use the same slide on all the horns as far as I know.

Attached is a photo of my old Sterling's slide, with red showing the area that Adams will shorten.

Attachment 3879
    This photo is very useful. Fortunately, my Adams does not have a trigger therefore there is no need to be concerned about the trigger's mechanism on the tuning slide. There would still have to be room to silver solder that piece on what's left on the ferrule, seems to me, if my horn had such a mechanism. Not sure how the trigger setup is on the Adams. . .maybe that piece doesn't exist.

I owned a Virtuoso for a few years and I remember that setup well.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

2. I am following this thread with interest because I have the same problem to a degree. It was the same with my Besson so I thought it was just me. For me, I can JUST get up to being in tune when warmed up, but the tuning slide is always all the way in. It is usually manageable, but it would be nice to have some adjustability. Let us know what you learn from Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    Sent off an email requesting info on how to exchange my current tuning slide for a slightly shorter one. Very encouraged that Miel follows the forum -- I didn't expect that! Thanks, Miel, for your interest in trying to help me with my tuning issues with my E1. That's customer service!
    Oh that is great service! Kudos to Miel Adams!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Okay, now that I know (I think) that Miel Adams reads the forum, HURRY UP ON MY ADAMS E3 EUPHONIUM!! I am already 68!! But do it nice, as I am sure you will!!! I can't wait to show it to the world, and you will get tons of orders...
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

5. Interesting topic. I've owned my Adams E1 for three years, and in that entire time, intonation was within adjustment. Until the last week, that is. I'm attending the Brass Chamber Music Workshop (BCMW), where we play all day and into the night (5 45 min. practice sessions, a concert piece, and 1-2 hours of freelancing each evening). My intonation became progressively sharper as the week went on, to the point where there was no adjustment left. It took a good 15 min. of playing to bring the horn in tune. I experienced some other changes in embouchure at the same time: I gained considerable endurance, but my tone quality suffered. I'll be playing tuba this week, so my expectation is that my Euph embouchure will return to normal.
    San Jose Wind Symphony (on leave 2020)
    San Francisco Brass Band
    Mission Peak Brass Band
    -------------------------------
    Adams E1 Custom .5mm
    Hirsbrunner Exclusiv 479
    Besson 2056-2, 955, 982, Imperial Euphonium & Prototype BBb helicon

Quote Originally Posted by SJWSEuph View Post
    Interesting topic. I've owned my Adams E1 for three years, and in that entire time, intonation was within adjustment. Until the last week, that is. I'm attending the Brass Chamber Music Workshop (BCMW), where we play all day and into the night (5 45 min. practice sessions, a concert piece, and 1-2 hours of freelancing each evening). My intonation became progressively sharper as the week went on, to the point where there was no adjustment left. It took a good 15 min. of playing to bring the horn in tune. I experienced some other changes in embouchure at the same time: I gained considerable endurance, but my tone quality suffered. I'll be playing tuba this week, so my expectation is that my Euph embouchure will return to normal.
    I actually find the same thing (not unique to my Adams experience, but also present with my Sterling and Besson). In the case of embouchure, strength is your friend and strength is your enemy! At least, for me it is. The stronger my chops get, the easier it is for me to play sharp. Of course, we all may tend to follow the cliche "I'd rather play sharp that be out of tune."

I have found it helpful to keep my tuner running as I play, and then check the middle Bb every time I get to it. Gradually I'm learning that if I'm aware of the tendency, I can control it. I think it has to do with my mental ears. I like to hear it a little sharp.

My old colleague in the Coast Guard Band, Denis Winter, told me that at Ohio State they had him play for an entire semester with his main tuning slide pushed all the way in. They were actually doing that for tone production, so that he found the darker side of the notes, but it was an interesting concept to me.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If you're playing all day/night, don't ignore your playing environment and diet. I usually try to use a better chair than what's provided. I've noticed that it does make a difference. Another possibility might be the amount of stimulants one might have, prior to playing for a long period. And along those lines, I see more brass players become lightheaded real quickly when they're not drinking water before, and during the playing periods. I know a lot of us like to play on large equipment, but at some point we have to manage what could happen. And when I did play a lot every day, I had to switch over to a Bach 6 1/2 al at some point. No harm in it, and yes, things went back to normal at the end of the season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12