Thread: Merle Haggard

Unhappy Merle Haggard

With the passing of Merle Haggard last week l dug out my vinyl copy of his "Big City" album and spun it on the turntable. Dick "Slyde" Hyde plays euphonium on this album. I think Merle was the only country super star that used the euphonium on his recordings. 'Twas a sad day......

I'm a big Hag fan and love Big City. Haven't heard the euphonium in any of his songs. What cuts is it on? Different on the album from the singles?

I used to like to listen to Merle too. Loved playing some of his charts on my guitar when I still played.

I remember watching him live many decades ago in West Palm Beach, FL. He with Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton (when Porter and Dolly were still together). I remember him singing 'Mama Tried'. He said. "I wrote this song... along with Jim Beam and IW Harper...". He'll be missed.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I'm a big Hag fan and love Big City. Haven't heard the euphonium in any of his songs. What cuts is it on? Different on the album from the singles?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A0E9EB38-F41C-48FF-B9BF-419A2013A045.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	6780
    According to the Album cover Dick Slyde Hyde dubbed the Euphonium in on at least one of the albums tracks. I believe I can hear it being played on “Are The Good Times Really Over”.
    Yamaha YEP 321 and Schilke 51D