X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miketeachesclass
    • Feb 2016

Current Hirsbrunner euphoniums

I was in contact recently with the guys at The Horn Guys. We were talking about euphoniums and they mentioned that they were getting a new model 479 from Peter Hirsbrunner. This surprised me because I thought Hirsbrunner horns were no longer made.

Am I wrong about Hirsbrunner not making horns? Did I miss a memo somewhere?

Can anyone tell me about these current hirsbrunners?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Hirsbrunner sold their mandrels to Adams a while ago, but I believe HB is still making horns themselves on a low-production basis.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• miketeachesclass
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
      Hirsbrunner sold their mandrels to Adams a while ago, but I believe HB is still making horns themselves on a low-production basis.
      Thanks Dave!

Can anyone comment on quality on these limited production horns?

I'm currently playing a sterling Virtuoso, and I'm looking for a horn to replace it. I'm also considering flying out to Austin Custom Brass to evaluate Adams horns.
      Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
      Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• Art Lewis
        • May 2013

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        "mandrel" - does that mean a hydraulic expansion mandrel? Don´t they need it for making all of their instruments?
        Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
        Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
        Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
        Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL

Comment

• Markmc611
          • Jun 2012

They've been making them by request, they're not a stocked horn. My understanding of it, as Dave indicated, it's low production, with parts coming from Adams. It would be interesting to find out when that order was placed. I was under the impression that when enough horns were ordered, it was a batch job. Good luck finding one used. When they do come up, they're gone almost immediately.

Comment

• euphisto
            • Jul 2006

Interesting thread. I wondered about the Hirsbrunner euphonium listed on the Horn Guys webpage too. I've ordered spare parts from Mr. Hirsbrunner over the years for repairs on my euphonium. I've wondered how long the parts will be available. If Adams is producing the parts, then that's potentially good news for Hirsbrunner euphonium/tuba owners. I understand that Adams has their own design for their euphoniums, but would any of the Adams parts match the Hirsbrunner euphonium? They appear more similar than Hirsbrunner v. Yamaha or Besson.

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Not sure, but I'm pretty none of the small-tube parts would match, nor would the valves. But the new E3 model may match larger branches, assuming you know the thickness of the metal on your horn. I'm mostly guessing, but it is semi-educated guessing.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Art Lewis
                • May 2013

I got a short Email notice (in German) from Peter C. Hirsbrunner today. He told me that he does not have any Euphonium on stock. But he has still all the parts on stock to build them. He himself will do that, because he is working alone at the moment. Price is around CHF 8'900.- for HBS 479, incl. case. Takes three to four months. He appreciates to make an appointment to visit him and talk about personal customization.
                Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
                Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
                Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
                Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Art Lewis View Post
                  I got a short Email notice (in German) from Peter C. Hirsbrunner today. He told me that he does not have any Euphonium on stock. But he has still all the parts on stock to build them. He himself will do that, because he is working alone at the moment. Price is around CHF 8'900.- for HBS 479, incl. case. Takes three to four months. He appreciates to make an appointment to visit him and talk about personal customization.
                  Hi Art,

Thanks for the heads up. That's quite the price for a horn! Though, I'm sure it's very nice. The once I was able to play a Hirsbrunner (a horn from the late 90's), it was the nicest horn I'd ever played.
                  Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                  Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• SJWSEuph
                    • Jul 2009

Tony Clements had an Adams E1 sterling silver bell installed on his Hirsbrunner euphonium. It plays beautifully, with the darkest sound I have ever heard. Joanna Hersey played it this week at BCMW (she was the euphonium coach) and sounded marvelous on it. Of course, she could make any euphonium sing!
                    San Jose Wind Symphony (on leave 2020)
                    San Francisco Brass Band
                    Mission Peak Brass Band
                    -------------------------------
                    Adams E1 Custom .5mm
                    Hirsbrunner Exclusiv 479
                    Besson 2056-2, 955, 982, Imperial Euphonium & Prototype BBb helicon

Comment

• davidapaulson
                      • Sep 2010

News on Hirsbrunner:

News is out on the street that the last few Hirsbrunner instruments are being made by Peter. The company is going to be managed by Adams, as Adams will continue making the Hirsbrunner horns. But the last ones by Peter Hirsbrunner are being made now.
                      dPaulson

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post
                      I was in contact recently with the guys at The Horn Guys. We were talking about euphoniums and they mentioned that they were getting a new model 479 from Peter Hirsbrunner. This surprised me because I thought Hirsbrunner horns were no longer made.

Am I wrong about Hirsbrunner not making horns? Did I miss a memo somewhere?

Can anyone tell me about these current hirsbrunners?

Thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X