Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed

Help needed

Good evening all,

As some of you know, I have been rehearsing Lincolnshire Posy with my college wind ensemble. Unfortunately, being "authentic" to Grainger's wishes by using an actual baritone has led to an issue. I have been finding during rehearsal that blending with other instruments is nearly impossible because the horn is playing flat as a board. I believe it is due to the amount that the mouthpiece sticks out of the receiver. Does anybody have any advice for me? Does either the mouthpiece or receiver need to be modified?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1175.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	3810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1176.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	3811

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

If that photo shows your 4BS, then you need to have the received worked on. The 4BS should fit with roughly the same extension as your 4AL would show on a euphonium.

You should first see if the received can be opened properly. If that still doesn't get the pitch comfy, then I would try a Wick 6 instead of the 4.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Dave...I just sent EXACTLY the same two recommendations via Facebook Messenger before I read your post! <grin>
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Dave...I just sent EXACTLY the same two recommendations via Facebook Messenger before I read your post! <grin>
    Great minds think alike!! Also, it is nice to have your confirmation, because I'm quite sure I have way less baritone experience than you.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

The mouthpiece stem should go in around one inch. If the mouthpiece isn't wobbling, I'd be inclined to think that the receiver is OK and that it was designed to be that size. This isn't unheard of on older instruments. Bring the mouthpiece to someone with a lathe and have them turn it down to fit the receiver. That, or borrow a different baritone.
    --
    Barry

I agree with the 6bs recommendation, by the way. 4bs is pretty extreme for baritone. A mouthpiece with smaller cup volume will tend to bring pitch up. But it might not be enough if it's not going the proper amount into the receiver.
    Last edited by bbocaner; 03-24-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    --
    Barry

Just one the mouthpiece chat, I just bought the Steven Mead version of the 6 size baritone mouthpiece, the SM6B, and it's marvelous in my baritone. I'm sure the 6BS would be great too, but I can only speak to what I have. It's got a great balance of a wide range of tone colour, from a bright horn-like quality that blends with brighter alto voices, to a richer melodious tone that blends well with Euphs and other basses, and not to mention a lot of ease in the higher range due to the smaller cup. It's been perfect for 1st Baritone in a brass band, but I'm sure it'd be great for Lincolnshire Posy too. It sure is a tough piece
    Michael Lajeunesse
    Wessex Dolce in Lacquer, Dennis Wick 4AL with DW 'tone booster' MP sleeve
    Cosmopolitan Music Society of Edmonton, euphonium section

Have you thoroughly and repeatedly cleaned the receiver with a brush and something like 409? I mention this because it took be about 4 such cleaning to get all the built-up crud out of my Buescher 1924 tuba receiver -- at which point mouthpieces were seating about 3/4" further into it.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Have you thoroughly and repeatedly cleaned the receiver with a brush and something like 409? I mention this because it took be about 4 such cleaning to get all the built-up crud out of my Buescher 1924 tuba receiver -- at which point mouthpieces were seating about 3/4" further into it.
    Wow!!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1179.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	3826

Here is a picture of the horn with a 6BS in the receiver. Same problem. Also, my local repair tech said that he would be unable to modify the receiver in anyway, so I suppose boring the receiver out is not an option. Also, the receiver is completely clean inside. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Can I get the shank of the mouthpiece shaved down? I also wonder if Doug Elliott could make a custom mouthpiece with a shank that would fit this horn.

Thanks for the input so far!

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast