Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed

Quote Originally Posted by K_Aufderhar View Post
    Can I get the shank of the mouthpiece shaved down?
    Yes, probably. It depends on the thickness of the metal at the end of the shank. The very end can get pretty thin and still work, but of course you would not want to drop it because it is more easily dented. If you have a good shop near you, this would be the simplest and cheapest option.

I also wonder if Doug Elliott could make a custom mouthpiece with a shank that would fit this horn.
    Maybe. Just for fun, find a trumpet (not cornet) mouthpiece and try it in there. I suspect it will fit very well. This looks like my old tenor horn, which was in baritone-range Bb but had a trumpet-size receiver. So if it is a standard trumpet size, Doug would have to have a trumpet-size shank and he mostly deals in low brass. So you should contact him and ask that question. If he has the right blank, then see if he can put a cup on it like a 6BS.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Kyle, at this point I would shave down the shank. Your technician should be able to do that.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I emailed Doug Elliott concerning my problem. He does have an "alto S" shank in his lineup which he describes as having a "slightly smaller taper than standard tenor to go in farther." I wonder if this would indeed be the answer.

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble

... my local repair tech said that he would be unable to modify the receiver in anyway ...
    I'm just curious about this. It appears to be a rather standard receiver (though perhaps a peculiar size). What is prohibiting simply unsoldering the receiver and soldering on one of a more useful size?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I'm just curious about this. It appears to be a rather standard receiver (though perhaps a peculiar size). What is prohibiting simply unsoldering the receiver and soldering on one of a more useful size?
    Agree with this. I'm not sure why his technician doesn't want to tackle this job.

Well, I sent Doug Elliott some pictures and he has completely diagnosed my situation. The mouthpiece will be a 4AL type rim with a cup similar to a 6BS and an extra small shank. Looking forward to the results with fingers crossed!

Well, I sent Doug Elliott some pictures and he has completely diagnosed my situation. The mouthpiece will be a 4AL type rim with a cup similar to a 6BS and an extra small shank. Looking forward to the results with fingers crossed!
    Doug is a great resource for our low brass world! I'm glad you're on track to finding a proper mouthpiece.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12