Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone's Opinions Of the Jupiter JEP 1120 Euphonium?

1. Question Anyone's Opinions Of the Jupiter JEP 1120 Euphonium?

Hey, so this is basically a question I've been meaning to ask, but I have only come around until now to even ask. Anyway, I was thinking of trying to buy a new professional model Euphonium that won't break the bank. I came across the Jupiter JEP1120 Euphonium, however I can't seem to find any critical reviews or acclaims to it, which makes it suspicious to me. It looks nice and other Euphoniums of its kind have good reviews like the Jupiter XO Euphonium. I plan on using this horn for college, or at least a majority of college. I would appreciate that if anyone out there has played or tried one would give me their opinion before I try this Euphonium out and see if it's worth the $4,000+ it is. Thank you in advance.

I've never tried the Jupiter but with around that much money you could probably afford the Eastman compensator. I've tried two of those and they were pretty solid horns. That's just a suggestion. The Jupiter could be a good choice though.
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    Yamaha 642 Neo(School Owned), Denis Wick SM$
    Miraphone 186(School Owned), Giddings and W4bster Williwaw
    Besson New Standard 3v Comp, Yamaha 51D
    King 1140, Conn Helleberg
    King 607F Tempo II, Bach 5g
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

3. For about a third of the cost, but every bit of the playability, many folks on this forum are recommending the Wessex instead.

4barsrest has a very good article about this instrument. http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/pro...p#.VumM5_nhCUk

5. Looks really nice. I'll inquire about it when I can. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. I don't like Jupiter. It seems like their low brass just needs a lot of work for them to be competing with the Yamaha student and professional instruments, Yamaha being their largest competitor. I just think there are many better choices out there. I second the recommendation of a Wessex. I've played the compensating model when a friend of mine was looking for a horn. It is also way cheaper than the Jupiter.

7. One other thing.. If you're willing to spend $4000 on it, why not look on eBay or the For Sale section here for good used horns? Typically used Bessons go for about $4000, and I saw a Willson listed for $4500 as well. Just some food for thought.

I have not tried that Jupiter. Overall I don't care for the XO, although it is a nice horn for some tastes. But the model you mentioned is not one I have played.

Let me say this. If you are planning to upgrade at some point during/after college, I would bank the extra money (or spend it on lessons) and buy the Wessex. It will do very well for that purpose.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I wouldn't say Jupiter's low brass is THAT bad. Our school has a silver Jupiter 4 valve tuba (I don't remember the model) that I mess around on occasionally and it has a pretty good sound. The tuning is slightly wonky (its an older instrument) but its a good instrument. Surely their euphoniums can't be far from that. From what I hear about Jupiter these days, they could have vastly improved on many things. I'm sure their are some people who can disagree with me on that due to hands on experience but its just a thought.
    Jacob A. Casas
    TLU Sophomore
    Yamaha 642 Neo(School Owned), Denis Wick SM$
    Miraphone 186(School Owned), Giddings and W4bster Williwaw
    Besson New Standard 3v Comp, Yamaha 51D
    King 1140, Conn Helleberg
    King 607F Tempo II, Bach 5g
    King 605F, Conn 12c
    Conn 15a cornet, Bach 7c

Joshua,

Maybe it would help to know a little more of your intentions. Is this horn going to be a keeper after college? You mention using it in college, but if you cease using it will it be due to you exiting music in general or moving on to a more pro-level horn or???
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast