Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone's Opinions Of the Jupiter JEP 1120 Euphonium?

1. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Joshua,

Maybe it would help to know a little more of your intentions. Is this horn going to be a keeper after college? You mention using it in college, but if you cease using it will it be due to you exiting music in general or moving on to a more pro-level horn or???
    I have a very serious passion for the instrument. Therefore, I have-and still do- plan to go professional after college. However, the horn I currently have, my Schiller, will not keep up much longer. The horns has its fair share of problems, especially in the metal quality, for it is highly susceptible to rust, even with extreme care and precautions. Anyway, to answer your question: yes, I do plan on going professional after college.
    Also, I have already made a couple inquiries to Andy to possibly see about testing the horn. I've ready many impressive reviews of it, and I am frankly quite ecstatic to hear how amazing it is from such a wide array of professionals, everyone from new players to soloists and professionals. Thank you and iiipopes for suggesting it.
    I play tested the Jupiter, and I feel the same opinion. It wasn't really impressive, and it had a couple issues with the playability of the Euphonium. I played a couple passages from Anthony Barfied's "Heritage", and it does not surpass even my current Euphonium, a Schiller Elite IV. It lacked in the extreme high ranges of the first movement and the compensating side was okay, albeit shaky and unsolid. I could basically say that the horn was not really impressive. It really wasn't. For me, the horn acted as if it tried to force my playing back. It was somewhat difficult to project with brilliance and vibrato. However, I could definitely see the remarks for its intonation. I played a couple of the out of tune notes that you would commonly find (Pedal B, High F-Sharp, High G, High B, and Double-High F). If I was to rate the Euphonium on a scale of one to ten, for anyone wanting my opinion on the horn if they are interested in buying one, would be a 5. I was not really satisfied with it.
    Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, and I can understand how you might not really care for the Jupiter line of Euphoniums. I hope I answered your question.

Hi Joshua.

Do you plan for your next horn to be your horn for the long term? If so, from what I've read here (have not played one) the Wessex seems the class of the Chinese made horns. However if the answer to my question is yes I'd suggest either buying a used first grade horn (Besson, Sterling, Willson, Adams, top line Yamaha, Miraphone, Hirsbrunner) or saving your money for a new version of these brands. If you plan on being a professional, you need to play the best horn you can.

Greenbank (near Brisbane) Queensland, Australia
    G'day Joshua.
    I spent a few hours with one today and played it back to back with my current 'cheap, temporary' horn, a Berkley that I imported via eBay a few years ago from the states.
    I was hoping for great things from the XO and came away disappointed.
    In OZ, we are talking about a $6500 (AUD) cost and I got my Berkeley, shipping, landed and taxes for just over $2000.
    If the Jupiter was even 30% better, I was prepared to buy it....but it wasn't. Intonation was a little better and the horn is very free blowing and centred but a little too narrow in the overtones for my liking.
    I found projection, range, dynamic capabilities and general feedback and feel to be better in the Berkley.
    And I did not expect that.
    The Berkley is a Yamaha style design and even the physicalities of size, holding comfort etc were ahead of the Jupiter.
    I hope the XO would be an alternative to the Neo (which costs us around $7500 here)
    I was privileged to launch the Yamaha Neo in Queensland for Yamaha a few years back and always played Custom horns (which at first were considered 'toys' and not up to the level of a Besson till we showed 'Em) The valves on the Jupiter were quite bad out of the box and the staff at Brisbane Wind and Brass worked on them for a while prior to my arrival to test the horn. After a couple of hours and several wipe downs and re oils, they were slowly improving but did not inspire confidence. Even so, they have a smaller throw and closer action than the Berkley and a very definitive response - just slow and heavy (at first...?
    So my thoughts are .....no, unless you want a light, fat trombone sound for certain solo work. It lacks the Euphonic nature that most will prefer to hear and just doesn't do it for me.
    I'm Waiting for a lacquered Neo to try and in the meantime can't imagine anything better for the money than the Berkley.

I'm a bit skeptical about the Chinese made instruments even though some do play well and appear to be well made. My repair guy has and still steers me clear of these instruments. There are some great European made instruments the can be bought in your price range such as Besson. Sterling, Miraphone etc. There are Sterlings on sale with Custom Tubas new around your price range. Wilson Adams are other names that come to mind. Personally I don't care for the lower range of the Yamaha. Different taste among players.

Quote Originally Posted by BDeisinger View Post
    I'm a bit skeptical about the Chinese made instruments even though some do play well and appear to be well made. My repair guy has and still steers me clear of these instruments. There are some great European made instruments the can be bought in your price range such as Besson. Sterling, Miraphone etc. There are Sterlings on sale with Custom Tubas new around your price range. Wilson Adams are other names that come to mind. Personally I don't care for the lower range of the Yamaha. Different taste among players.
    I previously shared your skepticism but have since purchased from both Mack Brass (Tuba and Euphonium) and Wessex (Tenor and Bass Trombone). I have also taken them in for cleaning at a repair shop and not heard anything but positives about the horns. Both of these manufacturers would get a spare part if needed. Frankly I've put a few miles on my instruments thus far and have found them to be as sturdy and dependable as most other horns that I have owned costing 5 times as much. I do think that there are companies that you need to be wary of but Wessex, Mack Brass, John Packer I believe make very good instruments that they stand behind. I've also heard great things about Eastman but have no first-hand knowledge. My youngest son is using the Wessex tenor trombone in jazz band at school and it works just fine with no issues whatsoever. I still remember many years ago people having issues with Yamaha and not trusting them etc. We've certainly come a long way since then and I think are turning the corner on certain Chinese instruments. Wessex and Mack in particular. I say the advice to buy Wessex and hold your money for a premiere instrument later is very very good advice. Best wishes to you.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    I previously shared your skepticism but have since purchased from both Mack Brass (Tuba and Euphonium) and Wessex (Tenor and Bass Trombone). I have also taken them in for cleaning at a repair shop and not heard anything but positives about the horns. Both of these manufacturers would get a spare part if needed. Frankly I've put a few miles on my instruments thus far and have found them to be as sturdy and dependable as most other horns that I have owned costing 5 times as much. I do think that there are companies that you need to be wary of but Wessex, Mack Brass, John Packer I believe make very good instruments that they stand behind. I've also heard great things about Eastman but have no first-hand knowledge. My youngest son is using the Wessex tenor trombone in jazz band at school and it works just fine with no issues whatsoever. I still remember many years ago people having issues with Yamaha and not trusting them etc. We've certainly come a long way since then and I think are turning the corner on certain Chinese instruments. Wessex and Mack in particular. I say the advice to buy Wessex and hold your money for a premiere instrument later is very very good advice. Best wishes to you.

I guess being of my age and a veteran, I'm very prejudiced of Chinese made instruments and I owe an apology for that. I have seen some very fine cellos years ago that were Chinese made. My own personal taste is to stay clear of Chinese made instruments. Sorry for that thought, but that's just my take on the subject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12