Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gap - Adjustable Gap Receiver - No Gap

Bob Reeves has a shank sleeve system that allows trumpet players to determine "depth" of the mouthpiece in the receiver. Noah Gladstone of the Brass Ark worked with him, and they are currently making large shank trombone mouthpieces.

They have a 4G and a 5G-4G (5G rim with 4G cup) which should work well with Euphonium.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Franz, the way I understand it is the gap can be helpful with response and maybe slotting or hitting the note without chipping. Dave Werden has a good video discussing that. Here's a link to that exact discussion (YouTube because I can link to exact start)

Adams AGR:
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Franz, the way I understand it is the gap can be helpful with response and maybe slotting or hitting the note without chipping.

Yes, I understand how it is in theory but, as I was able to experiment in my case, on my Prestige where the step between leadpipe and receiver is minimal, the effects of the more or less marked gap are minimal or zero ( at least for me). My question is whether there is more pronounced step between leadpipe and receiver on Adans and therefore it is justifiable to have a gap regulator.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Okay, I get it now. Sorry but I don’t know.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The trombone community looks at this a little differently, because in most cases, the leadpipe and receiver are one piece. There are some makers like King that use a 2 piece leadpipe, but most use the single piece, so there is no "step" there, just the step at the end of the mouthpiece. For brass MPCS there is only so thin you can make the end of the shank to avoid it being overly delicate. Some players use teflon tape to adjust the spacing between the throat of the mouthpiece and the leadpipe venturi. I haven't tried it, but many say that it does make a difference.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

6. I’ve been informed by Paul Riggett that on a Sterling euph there is no gap in the receiver. The mouthpipe is flush in the receiver. The mouthpiece actually enters the mouthpipe for a few mm (in some cases). The Gap is still needed for playability but actually is where the mouthpipe enters the valve group.
    conclusion: for Sterling Euphs (and I suspect Besson to be the same) the Gap setting is fixed and on the other end of the mouthpipe.
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 01-10-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234