Thread: Besson Eb Tuba - from which year?

Besson Eb Tuba - from which year?

Hi all

I just got an offer for a besson sovereign eb Tuba and would like to verify the age of the instrument. The Serial number is 982-891911. Does anyone here have an idea, from what year that is? I could not find it on the various lists provided by Google...

Many thanks.

According to the 2nd chart on this page:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...sey-amp-Hawkes

it is probably around 2002-3. The charts only go up to 890000, but it's close enough to make a guess.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. The last instrument manufactured completely at the Edgeware Rd. facility in England was 890008 in 2002. The horn above would be one of the ones whose parts were largely built in Markneukirchen at the Schreiber-Keilwerth factory but was assembled and finished in England. I would agree with Dave that it is likely a 2003. Keep in mind this arrangement did not last very long as the old Besson went into receivership in 2005. The Schreiber-built instruments became York Brass and re-emerged in 2006-7 at about the same time as Buffet started their own manufacturing at the B&S plant also in Markneukirchen.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Hello BigMc.
    I bought two year old Besson Sovereign Eb Tuba in 1987 with the number: 982-710304. I have played that tuba ever since.
    The tuba should then have been produced in 1984/1985.

I saw the tables davewerden referred containing historical list of serial numbers. Very interesting and revealed that my tuba actually was produced in 1984 opposite of what I thought.

Does any know what the number 982 stands for?

Best regards,
    Reynir
    Last edited by Reynir K; 11-04-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Reynir,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for providing insight into this thread.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Reynir K View Post
    Does any know what the number 982 stands for?
    982 is the model number. They make three top-action 3+1 compensating Eb tubas. The 980 has a small bell but is otherwise the same as the 982. The 981 has the more open "Fletcher" leadpipe, and the 982 has a smaller leadpipe for a more focused sound. The 982 also includes carriage rings for marching with a strap.
    --
    Barry