Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Does anyone have experience with the Wessex Pocket Kaiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakewillis
    • Dec 2012

Does anyone have experience with the Wessex Pocket Kaiser?

My son has a Wessex Dolce, and it's almost time for me to get a horn of my own. I want a 4/4 BBb horn that isn't going to take a ton of air, but will still work in the civic band I play with. I am not a large person (5'5") and I just don't have the lungs I once did.

It seems to me that the Pocket Kaiser is the best of both worlds. The Luzerne looks great, too, but I am thinking a pocket-sized guy needs a pocket kaiser.

The Luzerne looks a lot like the Mack TU210. I wonder how similar they are?
    I play a Wessex Prague
    aka “Pocket Kaiser”
    Stofer Geib Mouthpiece

My Son plays
    Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium
    Wessex Dolce Compensating Euphonium
    Doug Elliott EUPH SN103, I, I9
  • Davidus1
    • Jul 2008

Hi,

Sorry I missed this previously. I have not played on the Pocket Kaiser but it is really a copy of the Cerveny. I have heard very good things about this horn. Big sound in a small package. 58Mark owns one and has posted a review on the tubenet. Check it out.
    http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic....580281#p580281
    Great feedback about the horn. Best wishes!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• 58mark
      • Feb 2013

Yep, that's my horn my horn and my review. Let me know if you need anything else.

It's really a 186 type horn in a smaller package. For a lung issue, you might consider the new 3/4 offered by mack brass. It's really good too

Comment

• Jonathantuba
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by jakewillis View Post
        The Luzerne looks a lot like the Mack TU210. I wonder how similar they are?
        The most obvious difference is the Luzern has 5-valves, but it does have various other differences and they play quite different. The Luzern is so good that one was only last week bought by one of the leading German orchestral tubists to play with his orchestra. Although bigger overall, I would say the Luzern takes less air than the Prague. If you can get to ITEC, visit the Wessex booth and try both.
        www.Wessex-Tubas.com
        Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
        Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• Davidus1
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by 58mark View Post
          Yep, that's my horn my horn and my review. Let me know if you need anything else.

It's really a 186 type horn in a smaller package. For a lung issue, you might consider the new 3/4 offered by mack brass. It's really good too
          Are you referring to the TU355 horn that is a Yamaha 103 copy but with rotary valves? I saw it on the Mack site but was curious how it played. Looks like a neat horn.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
          Yamaha 354 Trombone
          Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• 58mark
            • Feb 2013

That's the one. I've played it (the same horn offered by tempest) and it's really nice. It won't sound as rich and full as the 186 style tuba, but it's still a fun horn in a small package

Comment

• Davidus1
              • Jul 2008

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking for a smaller horn to play with quintet and solo stuff. I play at church quite a bit and my big horn works but would like something lighter. I had thought about the Prague until I saw your video. To that horn's credit the sound out of it is deceptive to its size.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
              Yamaha 354 Trombone
              Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• 58mark
                • Feb 2013

there are videos of all 3 instruments you're considering on the tempest website, but be warned that they charge a premium for those instruments. Better to buy from someone else

Comment

Working...
                X