Thread: Another Sterling Question

1. Another Sterling Question

To those who saw my last question about excess valve noise in my Sterling euphonium, that has been fixed and taken care of. It stopped after I replaced the felts (they were 8 years old and had been thinned). When I received the instrument, the springs inside were too wide and would not seat in the slot in the bottom valve cap. I originally replaced them with some Yamaha springs from a Yamaha YEP-321 made somewhere around 1980. They work rather well and their tension is light and comfortable, but due to the fact that they are a bit older, the third spring and fourth spring make noise somewhat randomly. I then tried replacing them with new Yamaha springs and these new springs made a very large amount of noise, and it almost seemed as if they were too strong for the valves. I then tried Besson springs (these were longer but lighter like the springs I first put in), and while there was less noise, there was still noise that I could very well hear that isn't supposed to be there. I take great care in making sure the springs are slotted into the groove in the bottom valve cap, so I don't know what is causing this noise. If anyone knows what is causing this noise, or if anyone knew where I could get a new set of the older Yamaha springs, that'd be great. Thanks!
    Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone

2. I found the original Bauerfeind springs too soft. I tried several replacements before settling on a set of Mead Springs that I "de-arched" to lessen preload. I am careful to hold the horn upright (usually in a cradle) when I pull the valves to clean and/or lubricate. I sometimes shake the horn in the upright position to make sure the springs are centered. You now can get lighter action Mead Springs which I believe would be about perfect for the older Sterling's like ours.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

3. Thanks for the advice. I might take the horn to my local repair shop and try some different things with the springs. I've already bought 2 sets of springs and would rather not spend more money only to get another set that isn't compatible with the Sterling.
    Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone