Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Wessex Bell Front Baritone

Just now watched the videos -- Wow!
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

@Snorlax,

I've been directing a German-style wind band since 2005. It's such a rich tradition of low brass. I'll actually admit to wishing I could be playing those awesome tenorhorn parts instead of conducting. There are some Bavarian and Bohemian charts that have just wonderful tenorhorn duets. Truth be told, it was exposure to that tradition that pulled me back to the euphonium after several years of playing trumpet exclusively.

Here's a video of us during a sit-down concert a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H5HpWMINoI
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

3. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Thanks for the update! We've just started to talk about this model.

Judging from appearance only, it looks very similar to the King design I owned, including the bell's angle. But to my eyes at least, the bell seems to be curved a bit more toward the player's right. Is that correct, and what would be the reason? (I have a guess, but I'll keep it to myself for now.)

Attachment 3746
    Has anybody answered this question yet, because I have the same question? Thanks.

Thanks to Snorlax and Adrian Quince for posting links to videos of German-style wind bands. Snorlax certainly doesn't exaggerate when he states that Willi Grafeneder is a monster player. Wow!

5. Although Wessex sell this baritone, this is one I was not personally involved with its development. Sorry I can therefore not explain the reason for the angle of the bell.

The new Front valve euphonium to be out shortly is my baby!
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathantuba View Post
    Although Wessex sell this baritone, this is one I was not personally involved with its development. Sorry I can therefore not explain the reason for the angle of the bell.

The new Front valve euphonium to be out shortly is my baby!
    If you need a field tester come September (when community band season starts again), I'm available
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

7. In community concert band last night, we rehearsed several selections that have a lot of doubling of the euph parts with tenor sax. I sit right beside the tenor sax player, whom I have known for years, and we each know each other's playing styles well. The slightly different tonality of the slightly smaller bore and front bell blended much better with his King Super 20 sterling silver neck saxophone than a larger bore upright bell horn, imo, to achieve a good blended tonality that contributes to the overall band.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12