Thread: Yamaha vs Schilke

1. Yamaha vs Schilke

Hey all!

I currently play on a Schilke 47 mouthpiece, but I was thinking about moving to a 51D. I'm curious as to whether or not there's a very big difference, if any at all, because if there isn't then I will look into experimenting with something along the lines of an SM4 (or something you guys recommend, of course).

BUT, I was also curious as to what the Yamaha equivalent of a Schilke 51D would be, because on Mouthpiece Express the Yamahas are quite cheap compared to the Schilkes. Is it the Yamaha 51D? I feel as if that would make sense.

Any information on the above mouthpieces would be much appreciated.

- TJ

Hi TJ,

Yamaha has a chart with comparisons here:
    http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=55190

Scroll down to pg 11 to see the trombone/euphonium pieces. Looks to me like Yamaha does have a 51D. Says that it compares to a Bach 5G but with a deeper cup.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yamaha MPCs.jpg  
    Last edited by RickF; 02-21-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I think you really have to try it (and you can get it on trial from Mouthpiece Express or -- my preference -- Hickey's). Overall, Yamaha mouthpieces seem to be a little smaller/shallower than the corresponding Schilke piece. As an example, I recently tried a Yamaha 60 (from Mouthpiece Express) hoping it was smaller and more controllable than my Schilke 60. It was -- noticeably different in response and ease of playing. I almost decided to keep it, but instead decided it wasn't quite what I wanted and sent it back. I do like the Yamaha mouthpieces. They're very well made and, as you point out, relatively inexpensive. I also almost kept a Yamaha 60BL which is a pretty strange beast (basically a shallow 60 with a much more comfortable -- wider -- rim). It gives a very bright sound and is in the genre of German trombone mouthpieces. Would be great for jazz/commercial bass trombone. I should have tried it on my euph, but didn't.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

4. Thanks for the chart Rick!

I haven't really heard about Hickey's, but I will certainly check them out. I'll have to try a Yamaha. Thanks Gary!

5. I have both the Yamaha 47 and the Schilke 51D and play them both. I find there is a substantial difference in the two. The Yam. 47 has a much more open tone and I can typically play a couple pitches higher with greater ease. The Schilke 51D is a much more subdued tone. I think it's much more in line with my idea of what a euphonium should sound like. I like the Schilke tone better, so I use it more often. I switch to the Yamaha 47 when the tessitura is high.

Later,

John

6. I have used the Yamaha 51D and the schilke 51D and can clarify that they are very similar. The rim on the Yamaha is more rounded, and the cup, while the same depth as the schilke 51D, is slightly less U shaped. The outer profile is a lighter on the Yamaha, the back bore is bigger I believe. overall, the Yamaha is a quality mouthpiece. If you want something bigger, go for Yamaha 53H.

7. Thanks John and Thank You CognitoFalcon! The info is much appreciated and quite helpful.