Thread: West Point and Golden West Audition Experiences

1. West Point and Golden West Audition Experiences

With the recent auditions held for the U.S. Military Academy Band at West Point and the Air Force Band of the Golden West, I was asked to share my experiences...

Each band required recordings to be sent in for a preliminary round - 8 were invited to West Point and 9 to the Band of the Golden West. Travel expenses for West Point were covered by the military, but the trip to Band of the Golden West audition was not. The environment at both auditions were very relaxed and professional. Each audition had two rounds before a job was offered to anyone.

The first round at West Point was blind and everyone ran through their packet of excerpts from top to bottom (meaning, no one was stopped after the panel decided to cut you). Immediately following was sight reading. I did not advance to the second round (three were selected), but I understand it was open and more interactive. The music for that included a duet with SSG Broome, a few excerpts on euphonium and trombone, and sight reading. Overall, it was very straightforward and a positive experience. We were emailed comments from the panel, which were encouraging for my audition for the Air Force just a few days later.

The Band of the Golden West audition was a little different. The first round was not screened, and there was a lot of dialogue between the panel and auditionees. Our prepared music was a solo of choice, scales, and a few excerpts, which was followed by sight reading. Three, including myself, were selected for the second round (also open), which involved playing euphonium with a brass quintet and a Bordogni on trombone. Both portions of the second round had sight reading. After waiting while the panel deliberated, I was pulled out of the waiting room and met with a couple members of the band, where I was offered (and accepted) the job. Again, everything was very straightforward and I think we all got a great impression of the band.

Some things that were helpful to me...

1. Obviously, preparation is key. If you care, you're going to be stressed, but being prepared will mitigate the nerves. Frequently playing for people and practicing sight reading will help, too.

2. Drink lots of water starting a few days before the audition. The last thing anyone needs is to dry out while everyone is listening to you play. And yes, you'll be in the bathroom a lot. A. Lot.

3. Have a list of questions to ask the panel if they prompt you. You'll get a better feel for the band and its personnel, and it'll show them you genuinely care.

4. Don't read into anything and get in your own head. I was asked to do many of my excerpts again, but in a different interpretation. It'll demonstrate how easily you can adapt on the spot.

5. Finally, just be yourself. Even though you are auditioning for a band, they are also deciding on who they want to work/socialize with for many years. If you're reading this, you probably play euphonium, which means you're already a great guy/girl. The hard work is over so being your normal self will surely work to your advantage.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond or just talk to anyone you know who has had good audition experiences. Thanks for reading!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing your audition experiences. I auditioned and was selected (I accepted) for the U.S. Army Band on euphonium back in the 70's, after driving 2000 miles in a snow storm much of the way. I think the trip was the stressful part, the audition was easier!! I think it is harder now a days to make one of the top bands than it was many years ago because there is so much talent and competition.

I auditioned for the San Antonio symphony for the 2nd trombone seat several years ago, and did not make that, but it was a great experience. There were 50 who were asked to come play live after the initial screening of more than 200 applicants. Some people drove or flew from all across the country. 5 excerpts were picked to play that morning from the 30-40 that had to be prepared, plus a solo. If you did not do well on the 1st or 2nd excerpt (in the opinion of the judges), you were done immediately at that point, and you did not get to finish the 5 excerpts. So, some people traveled thousands of miles, played 15 seconds on the 1st excerpt, and were done. Brutal!! I got to play all 5 excerpts, but I did not advance, no one in my "group" of 7-8 did. Of the approximately 7 groups of 7, one on average advanced from each group. Those 7 or 8 players then had another round or two that day, and I think the semi-finalists came back the next day, can't remember for sure. It is a VERY humbling experience. You cannot be too prepared for an audition like that.

Best advice, be so prepared that you can play the excerpts upside down, backwards, and in any key, slow and fast, on your worst day. The talent out there is so great for those very few positions. You just have to shine from the moment you sound your first note. Do as many mock auditions with musicians you trust that can be critical.

Again, congratulations on your audition win for the Air Force Band of the Golden West. You will have fun.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences! I'm sure others who anticipate being in the same situation someday will want to take this to heart. It is worthy of note that the three auditions covered above were quite different from one another.

Tom came in for an ad-hoc lesson the week before the auditions and I was impressed with his poise and playing abilities. But as is implied above, just being able to play well in one situation (a lesson, or a "local" performance) is no guarantee that you will do so in another (a live audition). That's where the awareness of what might come up is particularly valuable.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium