• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bass2bone
    • Feb 2016

Help I Have A UK Sterling Euphonium

Hello,

I have a UK sterling euphonium with a RED bell section down to the U bend, Gold and Silver tubing and valves slides....

It has the following serial number: 106501-753321 but I cannot find out where to find the manufacturing year of build and if it was a special because of the bell section being a different colour?

Cracking sounding instrument and I love it...

Mouthpiece: Besson 5
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to the forum!

The red bell is what I played when I used Sterling, and it was one of the standard options you could choose.

The lacquered version of that horn is what I played in the early 1990's and I really liked the sound it gave (and the looks!).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daruby
      • Apr 2006

My Sterling Virtuoso euphonium is 1065HGS 753776 manufactured in late summer of 2009. My Sterling Virtuoso baritone is 1050HGS 754325 manufactured in early summer of 2015. The first 4 digits of a Sterling serial number is the model number. Euphoniums are 1065, Baritones, are 1050. The HGS means Heavy bell, Gold trim Silver plated.

The next 6 digits are serial number in some sort of sequential series. I don't believe that there is a year number encoded within. I suspect 750001 may have been their first instrument produced around 25 years ago, Around 650 units were produced in the 6 year span between my two instruments. Your serial number is about 455 numbers below my euphonium. Given that I think he produces around 100-150 instruments per year, I'd guess yours is in the 2005-ish range, date-wise. You can always contact Paul Riggett via Facebook and ask him.
      Last edited by daruby; 02-20-2016, 06:07 PM.
      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
      Concord Band
      Winchendon Winds
      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

According to Paul Riggett your horn was made in July of 1995.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Harold M
          • Apr 2017

I have a Sterling 1065S serial #75316X that I will be selling soon. Trying to get information on when it was built and what they sell for now.

Harold Mahannah
          USN Retired

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

Well #753776 is 2009. #753321 is 1995. That is 355 instruments in 14 years. Linear progression (assuming they made the same number of euphs each year) would put yours in late 1980s. I assume it is all silver plate (the S in 1065S) with no trigger. Does it have the hexagonal (octagonal) finger buttons or round? A picture showing condition would help. If my guess about date is correct, it would sell in the same price range (maybe just slightly higher) as a Besson Sovereign in similar condition of similar vintage.
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Harold M
              • Apr 2017

Sterling 1065S

First of all thank you for the information! It is silver, I don't understand what you mean by no trigger. It has three valves top facing and one on the side. It does have the hexagonal (octagonal) finger buttons. I will get a picture posted this weekend but it's in good shape with one spot of lacquer wear as your right hand touches the bell and a few small dings.

Comment

• daruby
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Harold M View Post
                I don't understand what you mean by no trigger.
                Harold

By "trigger" I meant a tuning slide trigger that allows one to change pitch on the fly. These are a "paddle" that sits between the two 3rd valve tubes and has a pivot, spring, and mechanical linkage to the main tuning slide (the one on the back of the horn nearest your stomach when you hold the horn). Sterling started adding this feature to the Virtuoso euphonium in the mid 2000's after Besson came out with the Prestige.

The hexagonal valve buttons and the serial number probably date this horn to the late 1980's making it one of the earlier Sterling horns. These are fine horns, though I think the playability and intonation have improved over the years. Dave Werden can probably give you a much better assessment of the early Sterling horns than I.

My general guess about value being equivalent to a Besson Sovereign of the same vintage in the same condition remains the same.

Doug
                Concord Band
                Winchendon Winds
                Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Tubchen
                  • Mar 2018

I just bought an older Sterling Euphonium and I'm trying to date it. The serial is 752130, it has the hexagonal valve caps and stainless steel valves with nylon valve guides. The bell is 29 cm, slightly smaller than today's Virtuoso model. ( I play mainly jazz so smaller bell is a plus for me...)

It's a wonderful instrument, only the silverplating is sub-optimal. The very low notes are more open in comparison to my Besson New Standard from 1974. Intonation good enough for jazz..

Am I correct to date the production of this Sterling in the early 1980's ?

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Tubchen View Post
                    I just bought an older Sterling Euphonium and I'm trying to date it. The serial is 752130, it has the hexagonal valve caps and stainless steel valves with nylon valve guides. The bell is 29 cm, slightly smaller than today's Virtuoso model. ( I play mainly jazz so smaller bell is a plus for me...)

It's a wonderful instrument, only the silverplating is sub-optimal. The very low notes are more open in comparison to my Besson New Standard from 1974. Intonation good enough for jazz..

Am I correct to date the production of this Sterling in the early 1980's ?
                    I'm not sure how far back the Sterling brand goes. The first ones I know of were from the late 1980's. They were made by former Besson craftsmen and were nice horns. The silver plating was quite variable, depending on just when it was made. But the construction was solid. I found the response in the low range to be just as you described, and the tone was very attractive.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tubchen View Post
                      I just bought an older Sterling Euphonium and I'm trying to date it. The serial is 752130. Am I correct to date the production of this Sterling in the early 1980's ?
                      Since I believe that Sterling was founded in 1986, I would guess your horn is late 1980's or more likely, early 1990s.
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• jkircoff
                        • Jan 2013

I bought my Sterling Virtuoso second hand last year, and have been trying to find out when it was made. Unfortunately Paul Riggett, the owner of Sterling, will not respond to my inquiries.
                        James Kircoff
                        Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
                        Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• Lario
                          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by bass2bone View Post
                          Hello,

I have a UK sterling euphonium with a RED bell section down to the U bend, Gold and Silver tubing and valves slides....

It has the following serial number: 106501-753321 but I cannot find out where to find the manufacturing year of build and if it was a special because of the bell section being a different colour?

Cracking sounding instrument and I love it...

Mouthpiece: Besson 5
                          Look good it will be 1065GL......

Comment

• Lario
                            • Sep 2018

Hi your horn is lacquered. See some gold colored parts and silver colored parts because of the different colored metals used. So the model is 1065GL where G stands for bell gold brass (red) and L for lacquered.

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
                              • Jan 2019

Doug: Did you see my posting on the 1065HGS listed on Amazon (fulfilled by Brook Mays Music) that sells for $12k? Whoa. And above you say 1065 is the number for euphoniums and 105x for baritones. So is your 1052HS a baritone then?
                              Arnold (Arnie) Williams
                              Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
                              Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
                              Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
                              Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
                              Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
                              Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

Working...
                              X