Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help I Have A UK Sterling Euphonium

1. Quote Originally Posted by Tubchen View Post
    I just bought an older Sterling Euphonium and I'm trying to date it. The serial is 752130. Am I correct to date the production of this Sterling in the early 1980's ?
    Since I believe that Sterling was founded in 1986, I would guess your horn is late 1980's or more likely, early 1990s.
    Sterling Virtuoso 1052HS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HS baritone & Conn 24I/25I euphonium
    New England Brass Band/Metropolitan Wind Symphony
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

2. I bought my Sterling Virtuoso second hand last year, and have been trying to find out when it was made. Unfortunately Paul Riggett, the owner of Sterling, will not respond to my inquiries.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Sterling Virtuoso w/ Parker 4G Houser)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE955 w/ Denis Wick 6BY) and 10 piece ensemble (Getzen 1052FD w/ Bach 1G)

Quote Originally Posted by bass2bone View Post
    Hello,

I have a UK sterling euphonium with a RED bell section down to the U bend, Gold and Silver tubing and valves slides....

It has the following serial number: 106501-753321 but I cannot find out where to find the manufacturing year of build and if it was a special because of the bell section being a different colour?

Cracking sounding instrument and I love it...

Mouthpiece: Besson 5
    Look good it will be 1065GL......

Hi your horn is lacquered. See some gold colored parts and silver colored parts because of the different colored metals used. So the model is 1065GL where G stands for bell gold brass (red) and L for lacquered.

Doug: Did you see my posting on the 1065HGS listed on Amazon (fulfilled by Brook Mays Music) that sells for $12k? Whoa. And above you say 1065 is the number for euphoniums and 105x for baritones. So is your 1052HS a baritone then?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Arnbone Euph View Post
    Doug: Did you see my posting on the 1065HGS listed on Amazon (fulfilled by Brook Mays Music) that sells for $12k? Whoa. And above you say 1065 is the number for euphoniums and 105x for baritones. So is your 1052HS a baritone then?
    Yes, my 1052 is a baritone. They are "matching pair" <grin>. Both are silver with gold plated buttons, caps, and slides. Both are well suited to me and are in terrific condition. The euphonium will be 10 years old this fall.

I saw your posting regarding a Sterling for $12,000 at Brooks Mays via Amazon. There is also an Adams E1 listed for a similar amount being sold by someone else. Both prices are ridiculous. Retail for both of my horns might be in that price range (maybe just a bit more).
    Sterling Virtuoso 1052HS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HS baritone & Conn 24I/25I euphonium
    New England Brass Band/Metropolitan Wind Symphony
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band