Thread: Columbo - Sex and the Married Detective

Columbo - Sex and the Married Detective

Season 8, episode 3. During an investigation Columbo goes to a music center, where someone is demonstrating a Sousaphone to a group of kids. The he coerces Lt. Columbo to try an upright tuba. He does and plays well (not really Peter Falk playing). Later a woman shows up "wearing" the Sousaphone, but doesn't play.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I find it a little disturbing that you're watching old Columbo episodes.

For a more authentic tuba player, look for pictures and episodes involving Andy Griffith -- who in fact seemed to be a fairly competent tuba/sousaphone player (UNC/Chapel Hill marching band where he majored in music and also played trombone). Here's one example: http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68759. I also at one point came across some pictures of him playing Sousaphone on "Laugh In" with a very young Goldy Hawn in the background.

Although we were in Mt. Airy this past summer, we neglected to stop in the Andy Griffith Museum and see if there were any brass-related items there. (We were trout fishing. My wife caught one really nice brown and one really nice rainbow. I caught nothing. But she was using spinners and they just weren't taking flies. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I think we will have a rematch in a few months.)
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I find it a little disturbing that you're watching old Columbo episodes.
    Bite your tongue! To confess fully, I own the complete DVD collection (one of the few series I chose to buy in its entirety). It's like comfort food for me! Besides, I really like his dog. And how many other TV characters drive a Peugeot?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Bite your tongue! To confess fully, I own the complete DVD collection (one of the few series I chose to buy in its entirety). It's like comfort food for me!
    Well, I do own the collection of "Have Gun, Will Travel". But I feel that's vastly different.

And how many other TV characters drive a Peugeot?
    There's a reason for that.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I love that Episode of Columbo and in general have watched the whole series. That looked like a 14J Conn he was playing in that episode.
    1974 Amati/Cerveny BBb Tuba
    SX 5-String Jazz Bass