Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monzani MZEP-1150L

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    It would be nice to see a USA made pro horn. I admittedly haven't played a Kanstul. I wonder how much brass instrument making expertise has been lost over the years in the US. Skilled craftsman are probably not easy to find.
    Has there ever been a US made professional level euphonium? Other than Kanstul, I can only think of Bach Strads (uneven quality), Schilke and Edwards making pro horns of any type in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Has there ever been a US made professional level euphonium? Other than Kanstul, I can only think of Bach Strads (uneven quality), Schilke and Edwards making pro horns of any type in the US.
    Other than Kanstul, there has not been a USA-made compensating euphonium. It could be argued that the American-style (front valves, left-pointing bell) euphoniums by Conn, King, etc. were professional quality. There were used by many professionals before compensating horns took over the pro market, and were fine instruments in their own realm. Also, the Conn Constellation from the 1960's qualified even more so (4 valves, medium-shank receiver, a tuning-slide trigger on some). Many players believe these are still a better fit for wind bands because of their tonal qualities. The Sousa band and all the American military bands used the American-style horns up until the middle of the 20th century, when Harold Brasch introduced the B&H/Besson instruments here.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Other than Kanstul, there has not been a USA-made compensating euphonium. It could be argued that the American-style (front valves, left-pointing bell) euphoniums by Conn, King, etc. were professional quality. There were used by many professionals before compensating horns took over the pro market, and were fine instruments in their own realm. Also, the Conn Constellation from the 1960's qualified even more so (4 valves, medium-shank receiver, a tuning-slide trigger on some). Many players believe these are still a better fit for wind bands because of their tonal qualities. The Sousa band and all the American military bands used the American-style horns up until the middle of the 20th century, when Harold Brasch introduced the B&H/Besson instruments here.
    Thanks David. I did not know that Kanstul made a euphonium. My mentor Leonard Falcone played a professional 4 valve American Style horn.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    In the trumpet/trombone space, Getzen still makes excellent horns that appeal to certain players. My main Bb trumpet is a Getzen that has been a wonderful companion over the last couple of decades.

Also, as the owner of a Kanstul compensator made in 2014, it's been an excellent horn for me. The construction quality is first-rate and the valves are phenominally fast with the right oil. The intonation on my horn is actually significantly better than on Dave's comparison chart, leading me to believe that they've tweaked the design from the version he tested. The tone is different than on most other compensators. Actually, part of me wonders if they weren't aiming for a more "American" sound from this instrument, a la the vintage Conns.

One of the really intriguing features of the instrument is the detachable bell. Right now I've got a lacquered rose brass bell on there. Very responsive, but the sound breaks up a little too easily at times. I'm wondering what a little thicker yellow brass bell might do.

@Dave, when I get a chance to write a little more, I'll do a full review of the horn, including the intonation tendencies I notice.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Quote Originally Posted by Trperry View Post
    Has anyone come across the Monzani MZEP-1150L euphonium?

https://www.musicstore.de/en_OT/AUD/...BLA0002559-000

It seems to be another Jinbao (or other Chinese maker) clone of the Yamaha 642 and to be available only from Music Store Professional in Germany and from its UK subsidiary DV247.

This horn has a huge price advantage over other Jinbao clones, but it also looks different - perhaps the brass composition is less optimal, hence the duller appearance under the lacquer? I'd be very curious to hear if anyone on the forum has first hand experience of one of these horns.
    I bought one of these and received it this afternoon. I am just taking up playing again after a layoff of many decades. So far (after a few hours of ownership) I am absolutely delighted with this instrument.

The price was amazing, approximately $560 US, including shipping. It arrived about two weeks later than the estimated date of arrival, so if you order one be aware that it may take a little longer than the estimated shipping time.

I was surprised that I can still get a nice tone (nice to my ear at least), though it will take some practice to hit the high notes and to get a consistently clean attack on many of the notes. Sometimes I hit the notes cleanly, and sometimes, not, so I have a lot of practice in store to get my playing in shape. I will be using it to play in a local community band.

6. It looks like the Monzani MZEP-1150L is $650 right now after shipping and conversion. While the Schiller elite 3+1 is 885$ plus shipping. Is that Monzani still working well for you?

Quote Originally Posted by wahtah View Post
    It looks like the Monzani MZEP-1150L is $650 right now after shipping and conversion. While the Schiller elite 3+1 is 885$ plus shipping. Is that Monzani still working well for you?
    It's still working well for me. I practice every day. The lacquer is wearing off where I hold it... not a big deal in my book. Due to the low price it was the difference between my buying an instrument and taking up playing again and not. My euphonium teacher has a virtually identical instrument bought from one of the better known sellers of Chinese instruments. The only difference we could see between his instrument and mine is that the ring at the joint between the bell of the instrument and the body was shaped slightly differently. I think maybe the mouthpiece was different as well.

8. Thanks for the feedback. I messaged musicstore several times with no response which made me not inspired to give them my money. And in my hesitation i bought a Used like-new wessex clone of the same horn. I'm excited for it to arrive.

Thought I might revive this thread. I am going to be testing out a Monzani MZEP-1150S. Cost door-to-door? $646.34. The same horn via Jim Laabs (Schiller Elite) is $1367 BEFORE tax and shipping.

So, two to two-and-a-half times as much to buy through Jim Laabs. (And Jim Laabs Music is a horrible company to boot.)

Not just an advantage for buyers outside the US it seems!
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123