X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davidus1
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
    Good discussion above! I have asked myself the same moral questions, but then I would up where Davidus1 is, I think.

I'm carrying a smartphone made in China; drinking from a Stanley mug made in China; wearing Rockport shoes made in Viet Nam; probably wearing other items today made in China and other countries; I have a very nice logo/souvenir hat made in China about 10 years ago; my Walkman MP3 player is from Malaysia. At home I have a euphonium made in Holland, a baritone and tuba made in England, but who knows where my music stand, metronome, and tuner were made?

I've sat through a forum at church where the presenter discussed the immorality of buying a particular well-known-brand-name product because the workers made only X per day. But what she didn't point out is that workers in neighboring factories in that same country made about half that much. While "X" sounded very small to Americans, it was a big step up in that country. Would the locals be better off if a boycott caused the X-per-day factory to close? Such things confuse our moral math.
    Agree. All things don't equate to US living conditions, wages, etc. Closing the factory, as you mention, wouldn't improve things. I'm sure people are glad to get these jobs. I remember a lot of controversy about the Nike facilities a few years ago. Much of that may or may not have been true but I've had the opportunity to travel quite a bit and the thing that has stuck wish me after seeing Central and South America specifically is the standard of living just doesn't match the US. All things are not equal. Anyway.........good discussion. I guess we each have to make our own choices about where and what to purchase! I like the ability to share in this forum without attacking each other. Thanks!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Art Lewis
      • May 2013

Thank you for your replies on my questions! I agree a lot with Tim, Dave and Davidus1. Here in Papua Newguinea most goods you can buy from a store come from China. Even the Peanut Butter from our remote local store is made in China. My questions came up with the need of buying a new violin for my wife. The violin she brought from Germany just fell apart. The glue composite simply was not fit for the tropics. The violin maker in Brisbane recommended a Chinese violin. It was only 220 US$. He did some fine tuning on it and there it was: a marvellous, nice playing and good sounding instrument. But for my wife it was a tough decision - morally, musically. She had to get rid of a lot of prejudices and resentments first. But now she can´t be happier. Short time before that I bought a guitar in Lae, PNG. Cost 30 US$, the standard "Kappok" brand model everybody uses here. I had no qualms at all.
      But normally I try to buy on the local market with sustainability in mind. And with very view goods I become a little radical and moralistic. E.g. Euphonium: I like to know the workshop and some of the people behind the brand. I want to know where the parts come from, even try to find out where they get the brass from. Despite of bad internet connectivity I can do all this research from here. Next step back at home will be visiting some workshops and factories, talking to staff and playing the instruments. This requires a lot of time, money, energy. Chinese Euphoniums are too cheap for that. Looks like I have a luxury problem. (Though I never could afford or justify buying an Euphonium like Inderbinen offers.) I am really happy that we have the 5000 to 7000$ class of professonal Instruments around with lots of choices from different makers. Hopefully all these competitive cheap Chinese offerings help develop the Euphonium/Baritone Instruments and its popularity and improve the quality of traditional European craftmanship.
      Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
      Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
      Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
      Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Art Lewis View Post
        But normally I try to buy on the local market with sustainability in mind. And with very view goods I become a little radical and moralistic. E.g. Euphonium: I like to know the workshop and some of the people behind the brand. I want to know where the parts come from, even try to find out where they get the brass from. Despite of bad internet connectivity I can do all this research from here. Next step back at home will be visiting some workshops and factories, talking to staff and playing the instruments. This requires a lot of time, money, energy.
        For years I longed to see a USA maker do a compensating euphonium. Finally Kanstul came out with one, which was cool. Unfortunately, it has not taken off in the market. And, in my own testing and in feedback I've gotten from a high-quality player who used one for several years, it is not quite to the level of the other top brands. But they are a good company and may yet make it a really competitive product. If so, that would be a major accomplishment, which I would cheer!
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Davidus1
          • Jul 2008

It would be nice to see a USA made pro horn. I admittedly haven't played a Kanstul. I wonder how much brass instrument making expertise has been lost over the years in the US. Skilled craftsman are probably not easy to find.
          John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
          Yamaha 354 Trombone
          Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Trperry
            • Jan 2016

Hi pgeoff. Did your instrument arrive from Germany? How are you finding it? I'm still enjoying mine!

Comment

• MichaelSchott
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Davidus1 View Post
              It would be nice to see a USA made pro horn. I admittedly haven't played a Kanstul. I wonder how much brass instrument making expertise has been lost over the years in the US. Skilled craftsman are probably not easy to find.
              Has there ever been a US made professional level euphonium? Other than Kanstul, I can only think of Bach Strads (uneven quality), Schilke and Edwards making pro horns of any type in the US.

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
                Has there ever been a US made professional level euphonium? Other than Kanstul, I can only think of Bach Strads (uneven quality), Schilke and Edwards making pro horns of any type in the US.
                Other than Kanstul, there has not been a USA-made compensating euphonium. It could be argued that the American-style (front valves, left-pointing bell) euphoniums by Conn, King, etc. were professional quality. There were used by many professionals before compensating horns took over the pro market, and were fine instruments in their own realm. Also, the Conn Constellation from the 1960's qualified even more so (4 valves, medium-shank receiver, a tuning-slide trigger on some). Many players believe these are still a better fit for wind bands because of their tonal qualities. The Sousa band and all the American military bands used the American-style horns up until the middle of the 20th century, when Harold Brasch introduced the B&H/Besson instruments here.
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                  Other than Kanstul, there has not been a USA-made compensating euphonium. It could be argued that the American-style (front valves, left-pointing bell) euphoniums by Conn, King, etc. were professional quality. There were used by many professionals before compensating horns took over the pro market, and were fine instruments in their own realm. Also, the Conn Constellation from the 1960's qualified even more so (4 valves, medium-shank receiver, a tuning-slide trigger on some). Many players believe these are still a better fit for wind bands because of their tonal qualities. The Sousa band and all the American military bands used the American-style horns up until the middle of the 20th century, when Harold Brasch introduced the B&H/Besson instruments here.
                  Thanks David. I did not know that Kanstul made a euphonium. My mentor Leonard Falcone played a professional 4 valve American Style horn.

Comment

• adrian_quince
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
                    In the trumpet/trombone space, Getzen still makes excellent horns that appeal to certain players. My main Bb trumpet is a Getzen that has been a wonderful companion over the last couple of decades.

Also, as the owner of a Kanstul compensator made in 2014, it's been an excellent horn for me. The construction quality is first-rate and the valves are phenominally fast with the right oil. The intonation on my horn is actually significantly better than on Dave's comparison chart, leading me to believe that they've tweaked the design from the version he tested. The tone is different than on most other compensators. Actually, part of me wonders if they weren't aiming for a more "American" sound from this instrument, a la the vintage Conns.

One of the really intriguing features of the instrument is the detachable bell. Right now I've got a lacquered rose brass bell on there. Very responsive, but the sound breaks up a little too easily at times. I'm wondering what a little thicker yellow brass bell might do.

@Dave, when I get a chance to write a little more, I'll do a full review of the horn, including the intonation tendencies I notice.
                    Adrian L. Quince
                    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
                    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• massmanute
                      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Trperry View Post
                      Has anyone come across the Monzani MZEP-1150L euphonium?

https://www.musicstore.de/en_OT/AUD/...BLA0002559-000

It seems to be another Jinbao (or other Chinese maker) clone of the Yamaha 642 and to be available only from Music Store Professional in Germany and from its UK subsidiary DV247.

This horn has a huge price advantage over other Jinbao clones, but it also looks different - perhaps the brass composition is less optimal, hence the duller appearance under the lacquer? I'd be very curious to hear if anyone on the forum has first hand experience of one of these horns.
                      I bought one of these and received it this afternoon. I am just taking up playing again after a layoff of many decades. So far (after a few hours of ownership) I am absolutely delighted with this instrument.

The price was amazing, approximately $560 US, including shipping. It arrived about two weeks later than the estimated date of arrival, so if you order one be aware that it may take a little longer than the estimated shipping time.

I was surprised that I can still get a nice tone (nice to my ear at least), though it will take some practice to hit the high notes and to get a consistently clean attack on many of the notes. Sometimes I hit the notes cleanly, and sometimes, not, so I have a lot of practice in store to get my playing in shape. I will be using it to play in a local community band.

Comment

• wahtah
                        • Jan 2021

It looks like the Monzani MZEP-1150L is $650 right now after shipping and conversion. While the Schiller elite 3+1 is 885$ plus shipping. Is that Monzani still working well for you?

Comment

• massmanute
                          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by wahtah View Post
                          It looks like the Monzani MZEP-1150L is $650 right now after shipping and conversion. While the Schiller elite 3+1 is 885$ plus shipping. Is that Monzani still working well for you?
                          It's still working well for me. I practice every day. The lacquer is wearing off where I hold it... not a big deal in my book. Due to the low price it was the difference between my buying an instrument and taking up playing again and not. My euphonium teacher has a virtually identical instrument bought from one of the better known sellers of Chinese instruments. The only difference we could see between his instrument and mine is that the ring at the joint between the bell of the instrument and the body was shaped slightly differently. I think maybe the mouthpiece was different as well.

Comment

• wahtah
                            • Jan 2021

Thanks for the feedback. I messaged musicstore several times with no response which made me not inspired to give them my money. And in my hesitation i bought a Used like-new wessex clone of the same horn. I'm excited for it to arrive.

Comment

• iMav
                              • May 2011

Thought I might revive this thread. I am going to be testing out a Monzani MZEP-1150S. Cost door-to-door? $646.34. The same horn via Jim Laabs (Schiller Elite) is $1367 BEFORE tax and shipping.

So, two to two-and-a-half times as much to buy through Jim Laabs. (And Jim Laabs Music is a horrible company to boot.)

Not just an advantage for buyers outside the US it seems!
                              Groups
                              Valley City Community Band
                              Valley City State University Concert Band
                              2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

Working...
                              X