Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willson Baritone?

1. Willson Baritone?

Hi all,

I've been casually looking around at British brass band style baritones, and I wanted to see if Willson produced a baritone. There's no baritone on their website, but posts in this thread from 2009 seem to imply both that there was a Willson baritone in production and that Willson was gearing up to produce a new model of baritone. Googling has produced no good leads, any info would be appreciated!
    Last edited by JVickers; 02-14-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Grammar is hard
    JACE VICKERS, DMA
    Assistant Director of Bands
    Assistant Professor of Low Brass
    East Central University

I believe they have not made a baritone lately. My guess is that the project may have migrated into producing their new Saxhorn:
    http://www.willson.ch/instrument/saxhorn-willsax

Here is the whole line of brass (corrected! Look at the list in the left menu):
    http://www.willson.ch/en/instrument/...a-2-454-rz-4-0
    Last edited by davewerden; 02-14-2016 at 02:32 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I played the Willsax 2 days ago. I was using a large MP, so maybe it wasn't a fair test, but damn, that thing was terrible. Stuffy and out of tune

4. Hello If you want a terrific British-style baritone, I'd check with Dillon Music in New Jersey. Just a year ago I bought a barely-played Yamaha 621s 3+1 for about half of the new price (about $4600) Dillon had 6 barely-used from one of the service bands and, the last time I looked, had one left. Check it out!

LittleJimmy
    Yamaha 621s

5. As some of you know, This last year, I purchased a new Sterling Virtuoso British-style baritone with heavy brass bell. This is a FANTASTIC horn. In comparison with a number of Besson 955, 956, 2056 and York equivalents (3055/3056), I can say that this is the nicest baritone I have ever played. While I have not played the new Yamaha NEO baritone, I have played the YBH-301 and YBH-621 and didn't feel they were in the same league.

While I am quite certain none are in stock here in the US, one could be purchased through DF Music. If you are at NABBA, I will have mine there.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

It does exist, the TA2525. See one here for example http://secohan-euph.seesaa.net/s/article/407613949.html

It's not part of their current catalog. And it's kind of an odd duck, not only because it's a much different design physically than other baritones on the market, but also because it has a very different sound. I don't think I would get one for brass band work.

I don't know if they are really working on a new model or if that's just Internet rumours. Why don't you email them and report back here? The willsax is a very different instrument and not a baritone substitute.
    --
    Barry

7. I decided to do that shortly after I posted my question! Mr. Kurath said that the baritone was no longer in production, and didn't mention any work on a new model. He also didn't mention any retailers that still have them in stock. He did mention the WillSax, so it seems like that's where the focus is now. As an aside, I've emailed Mr. Kurath a couple times with questions about serial numbers, trigger compatibility, etc., and he's always gotten back to me either the same day or the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by JVickers View Post
    ...I've emailed Mr. Kurath a couple times with questions about serial numbers, trigger compatibility, etc., and he's always gotten back to me either the same day or the next day.
    Yeah, I think he's a good guy!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If I were in the market for a baritone right now I would jump on euphdude's Neo ASAP! The Neo is fabulous and a huge improvement over the ybh-621.
    --
    Barry

Hi Jace, please see below for my auction of the Yamaha Neo. I play tested the 621 years ago and I confirm Barry's assessment that the Neo is a huge improvement over the 621. The starting price for my auction is HALF of what you would pay for a new Neo...feel free to fire away if you have any questions!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/231844755790?
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast