Thread: High Notes

1. High Notes

I've been using a Yamaha 47 in my community band because I have a number of high concert G, A and Bb's. The Yamaha 47 gives me more confidence to hit the high notes, but I don't like the tone very much.

I have a Schilke 51D that produces a much better tone. Lately, I've been hitting the high notes much better with the Schilke than I was when I started playing a couple of months ago. I'm to the point that I'm going to start using the Schilke for the community band.

My question is, can I expect the high notes to come easier

2. Quote Originally Posted by KKORO View Post
    My question is, can I expect the high notes to come easier
    Yes! Takes time, development of embouchure musculature, AIR!!!!!, and practice.

I am now 64 years old and have been playing for 55 years. I normally play a Wick 4AL these days, but played a Bach 12 thru elementary school and most of high school. I switched to a Bach 6 1/2 AL (Yamaha 48 equivalent) in college, and continued with that mouthpiece until I was 29 years old. As a younger player in HS and college, my range was basically Low F (concert Eb) to Eb (concert Db) above high C. Then I bought my first Besson Sovereign in 1980 and it came with a Wick 4AL. It took several years before I could play the Wick comfortably across my usable range. In the last 7 years, due to daily practice under the guidance of a good private teacher, my usable range has improved both up and down, now extending from pedal F to high F (Treble Clef), a 4 octaves range.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

If you practice enough and become accustomed to the mouthpiece, yes you will. Your lips have to get accustomed to the fact they have more room to move now, along with the fact that the Schilke 51D is a very deep mouthpiece which requires a lot more air than your Yamaha 47. Every time you switch to a bigger mouthpiece, your high register will be worse than before the switch but if you keep working on it it will come back.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Given your statement above, you should be able to get your range back with a bit of work. The 51D works very well up to a high Bb concert.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Misa Mead - Misa's technicals 7. High Note Take a look at Misa Mead on You Tube. Sorry the link would not paste. Misa Mead

6. I've got a couple of months before our first concert. (May) A high concert Bb is the highest note I'll have to reach for the concert. So, I think I'll make the switch now and I should be good to go by May.

daruby, I'm 66 and just took up the euphonium this past November. I also have a Bach 61/2 AL. However, it's a large shank, so I can't use it on my present borrowed Olds euphonium. I've been to the Wessex showroom twice, in Michigan, and I had no trouble reaching concert Bb using that Bach 6/12 AL with the Wessex Dolce. I hope to have a Dolce by the concert and I'll be using the Bach 61/2 AL at that point.

Thanks all,

John

7. Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Misa Mead - Misa's technicals 7. High Note Take a look at Misa Mead on You Tube. Sorry the link would not paste. Misa Mead
    Don't I wish!!

John

Hi KKORO,

Since it sounds like you have the time, make sure you aim you high note work for higher than you need during the show. Performance jitters can make your very top note disappear on stage. If you work towards getting the C comfortable, your Bb should be pretty solid for you come show time.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Quote Originally Posted by adrian_quince View Post
    Hi KKORO,

Since it sounds like you have the time, make sure you aim you high note work for higher than you need during the show. Performance jitters can make your very top note disappear on stage. If you work towards getting the C comfortable, your Bb should be pretty solid for you come show time.
    Great advice. If I may add something, the typical issue that manifests as jitters is lack of breath support, the enemy of the high range. Focusing on taking a deep breath works well for me in this scenario. Really fill the diaphragm.