Thread: Old Besson~ Help!

1. Question Old Besson~ Help!

Four years ago I bought an old 3 + 1 Besson off of the Tuba Exchange. There was no specifics about it when I bought it, but a teacher advised me and said I should jump on the deal.
    Now I'm looking to sell, but find it hard with not specifics, I was also young and dumb and didn't keep a copy of the purchase to prove its worth.
    If you have any information at all it would be greatly appreciated!

My mouthpiece is a Denis Wick. London SM4M.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3372.JPG   IMG_3373.JPG   IMG_3374.JPG   IMG_3375.JPG   IMG_3376.JPG  

IMG_3377.JPG   IMG_3378.JPG  
    Last edited by Jocelynnrose94; 01-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.

That looks like the "New Standard" model. The serial number shows on the rear of the bell in your photo, and it dates the horn to 1973. That should mean that the mouthpiece shank is the European size, or medium size.

It's hard to say the value. There are a couple dents, but I don't any that look serious.

To know for sure about the value, you would need to provide good photos of the valve pistons. If they are worn out, then that takes hundreds off the value. But if the valves are good, then I have seen these sell from $1,600 to $2,500. If they are nearly perfect they might bring a little more.

I'm moving this thread to the For Sale section, which is where it should be.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thanks!

Thank you for sharing!
    And I apologize for posting in the wrong section, I'm new.

Too bad you need to sell it, that is one of their best, I'll never sell mine...

Dennis

5. I haven't decided for sure if I want to sell it. But I hate seeing it just sit. I don't even know where to start with this selling process.

6. You have a Besson New Standard manufactured between 1970 and 1974. I would agree with Dave's estimate of price at around $2,500. I am surprised to see a polished silver finish since these were usually either brass or satin silver. Is the receiver a "medium" or bass trombone shank? If bass trombone, I would suggest that this horn is nearer 1974 than 1970. Generally, these do fairly well on eBay.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I don't know where you live, but you might reach out to a forum member who was looking for a used Besson:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...n#.VqgDnCorLIU

8. I think its a medium receiver. My mouthpiece is a Denis Wick. London SM4M.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jocelynnrose94 View Post
    I think its a medium receiver. My mouthpiece is a Denis Wick. London SM4M.
    Definitely a Medium Receiver (which would be my preference). I would guess the horn is in the earlier range of 1970-74.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band