Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Late Show with Stephen Colbert

I think I saw a euphonium in the show's band, Stay Human.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I watch too. It was not a euphonium, it was a 3/4 size tuba with 3 upright valves.

Quote Originally Posted by opus37 View Post
    I watch too. It was not a euphonium, it was a 3/4 size tuba with 3 upright valves.
    No, he does have an actual compensating euphonium that he uses once in a while. Not every episode.

I found this screenshotClick image for larger version. 

Name:	12363151_10153318265827817_7718107572667618807_o.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	3657 on a friend's facebook feed
    Last edited by bbocaner; 01-21-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by opus37 View Post
    With respect, I saw the fourth valve for the left hand.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

During his interview with Steve Carell, they even talked about how Colbert had to learn to play it in about a week for a gig when they were first starting out. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8PrCvWmrPM
    Michael Lajeunesse
    Wessex Dolce in Lacquer, Dennis Wick 4AL with DW 'tone booster' MP sleeve
    Cosmopolitan Music Society of Edmonton, euphonium section

I don't know what instruments this guy HAS, but the one he's playing in the picture posted above is NOT a tuba.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I don't know what instruments this guy HAS, but the one he's playing in the picture posted above is NOT a tuba.
    It looks slightly too big to be a euphonium.

I like Colbert and record him every night for later watching. Saw that episode and wondered what the instrument was.

If you like tuba playing and want to hear an awesome band, record Colbert and just listen to the band -- you can speed through the rest.

John

To me it looks like a standard euph with a 12" bell -- like mine but in silver. I think it looks a little odd because of the camera angle and the aspect ratio -- which makes it look a little long/thin. Look closely at the diameter and position of the top and bottom bows, and the position of the bell rim relative to the player's head. The only possible comparably-sized tuba I can find (this is obviously not a vintage instrument) is a John Packer "JPP077 Eb Mini 3 valve Tuba". But it would be bizarre for a professional to use such an instrument. It's a "trainer" tuba. And a large bore euphonium can play in the same range with about the same tone quality.

I don't think any of this will convince you it's not a tuba in the picture posted here, but then what tuba is it?

(Also, this guy does seem to own one or two genuine tubas and presumably would play one if he wanted a tuba sound.)
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

To my eyes the instrument in the attachment above is a euphonium. No doubt. What I can't tell is what type of mouthpiece he is using. It might be a tuba mouthpiece cup.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've come around to the euphonium camp. Nothing else it could be really. Did a little googling on the band.

They are Julliard graduates.

http://www.juilliard.edu/journal/141...ses-jazz-grads

The tuba/euph/trombone player is Ibanda Ruhumbika, who is from Georgia and studied with David Zerkal before going to Julliard.

Here's the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFP0Sun25K0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast