• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by CEBunker View Post
    Two things come to mind... it's good my wife can't log in here and 'with friends like these! '
    Um, it's only fair to let you know that a person does not have to log in to see the thread!

Seriously, though, I think this horn will thoroughly satisfy your need in the "good horn" area. I'm really happy for you.

(Now you can focus on the fringes, like baritones and double-bell euphoniums. Sorry... I couldn't resist one more!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• CEBunker
      • Mar 2015

Is that the indication of 'resonance' then - the feeling of actual vibration? I am really looking forward to playing it.
      Chris Bunker
      Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by CEBunker View Post
        Is that the indication of 'resonance' then - the feeling of actual vibration? I am really looking forward to playing it.
        I'm not stating this as a scientist or acoustical engineer. That's how it feels, though, and it seems to make sense as a theory. But it is too simplistic to explain how the horn actually does it's thing. You can make a horn thin and give it too little bracing and it will also vibrate in your hands, but it won't convert that to projection. I think it has to do with the consistency and progression of vibration within the horn, so waves are forwarded to the bell end. On a too-thin cheaply-made horn, the vibrations are not at all controlled and may actually lessen the projection.

I think the one thing I've found consistenly is that I can play the horn incorrectly and not get that vibration, in which case I don't sound as good. When I get the vibration it's because I'm doing other "good" stuff like using a good air stream and centering the pitches in my chops instead of making the horn force them into place. The reason I have to pay attention to this is that I STILL retain some habits from playing for decades on horns where I needed to bend pitches more. On most notes on my horn I just need to plant to pitch where my musical mind tells me it should be, rather than where muscle memory thinks it should be.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• CEBunker
          • Mar 2015

Also, I have acquired a number of study books, but to keep it fresh and fun, I have started buying solo pieces. Just got 'Call of the Seasons' because it sounded very nice, seems to have some parts I can play, and has lots of parts that will require lots of work. I would like to get your arrangement 'Two Holst Songs' but it doesn't appear to be in treble clef. It's like Christmas again.
          Chris Bunker
          Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Comment

• CEBunker
            • Mar 2015

Gosh don't mention baritones! I spent my whole high school career thinking I was a baritone player! I have thought about getting one just to fix that mistake; but not right now!!!
            Chris Bunker
            Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Comment

• CEBunker
              • Mar 2015

You should do a demonstration video on this subject (resonance). It's very interesting and has great payoff potential as a learned skill.
              Last edited by CEBunker; 01-28-2016, 08:15 PM.
              Chris Bunker
              Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Comment

• Pat
                • Dec 2008

Chris unveiled the Adams at this week's band practice... mucho impressive, I must say. Gorgeous horn!
                Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Comment

• CEBunker
                  • Mar 2015

Thanks Pat. Now I need to be 'gorgeous' with it!

As an early report, the sound is rich and mellow. The intonation is great. And I love the feel of the valves. I am still getting used to how it plays and how the receiver works, but everything so far is fantastic!
                  Chris Bunker
                  Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Comment

Working...
                  X