Thread: Needing Info On Some Euphs

1. Needing Info On Some Euphs

Hi, I'm looking for a euph of my own to get but I have a couple questions. I am currently in high school and would like to get my own horn, one that compensates, but one that is also inexpensive.

I've been hearing some really good things on the Mack Brass Euphs, the Wessex Dolce, and the Schiller Elites so they're at the top of the list of the euphs I might get. However, there seems to be mixed emotions on their durability and that's one of my biggest concerns. Our band does go on several trips throughout the year and I don't want to get something that could be easily damaged on the bus or the bus' undercarriage. There is also a very tight squeeze in the band room so I would like something that can handle a few minor bangs. So I would appreciate it if someone could clarify what a couple of these horns can handle. As far as the sounds and intonations and qualities of these instruments go, I'm not too worried about that because I've been hearing lots of good things.

My other set of questions are about the JP274 MKII Euph, the Tuba Exchange Model 1150, the Sterling Royale, and the Tempest Fully Compensating Euph. These seem to run a bit more expensive but they also don't seem to be nearly as popular as Wessex or Schillers.
    I was wondering if anybody has played a Tuba Exchange euphonium and could give some feedback on their quality and durability because I can't find really anything out about them.
    For the John Packer MKII I was just curious if they are even good horns.
    On the website for the Sterling instruments, it doesn't give any prices and I can't find them anywhere else online so I was curious if anyone has one and could tell me how much they bought it for, or if anyone knows roughly how much they go for right now. It seems like it should be a bit pricey.
    Lastly, I was curious about the Tempest Compensating Euph. It's just about USD $2,000 but I'm wondering if they're good instruments. After listening to the videos they have posted the euph sounds quite nice but I would appreciate a less biased opinion than that of the Tempest Agility Winds company themselves.

If there are any other brands that I missed or anything you guys could recommend for me it would be greatly appreciated.

-TJ

Welcome to the forum!

I can't answer all questions from my specific knowledge, but let me offer a general opinion. Almost any new horn these days is somewhat subject to dents. Willson and the Adams with .80 brass might be the most rugged. But if you want something that will take a beating, get one of the British-made Bessons. They are about the toughest horns out there.

Of the cheaper brands you mention, go with Wessex. For one thing, they have started a new process to harden the bells, which might help. Also see the review of the Wessex just posted on the forum:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...Euphonium-WOW!

My knowledge is weakest for the mid-priced horns, particularly about their ability to take a beating.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. I'll definitely consider the Wessex more than the others. The review is very informative and the piece of information about their process of hardening bells really caught my attention. I'll look more into the Bessons and see what I can find.

Thank you for the suggestions and the feedback

One thing to keep in mind - ANY horn can collect dents in the right situations. Look around on eBay for a while at the used euphoniums and you can see that even the tough old Bessons show up pretty dented sometimes. So if you want one that can "take it" be aware that you are increasing the odds of keeping the horn from getting dented, but no one makes one with Star Trek shields.

Also keep in mind that cases make a difference in the bus bays. The soft but highly-padded cases like Wessex uses may actually do pretty well there. I don't know if we collectively have had enough experience with those cases to know. The luggage-style molded cases like you see on Bessons, Yamahas, and some others do a pretty good job. And the Bonna case that came with my Adams is pretty sturdy. You might consider getting a case for your new horn. There is a JP Sterling copy of the Bonna (for about half the price) that may be good. Also, the Hiscox cases from England are quite sturdy. In my early days with Sterling the guy who I dealt with (Nigel Barr) would demo the cases by laying it flat on the ground and standing on it - with a new Sterling inside.

Marcus Bonna Case:
    https://www.dillonmusic.com/p-7301-m...-in-black.aspx

Hiscox Case:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hiscox-BEU-L.../dp/B002BJJJHS

JP Case - here is the photo. You can contact forum sponsor DF Music to see if they have one:
    http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalogu...um-Case-209352
    Last edited by davewerden; 01-09-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium