Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Just Got a Wessex Dolce Euphonium - WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geeky
    • Nov 2016

Thanks so much for the review! One of the best I have read so far

Comment

• John Morgan
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Geeky View Post
      Thanks so much for the review! One of the best I have read so far
      Thanks Geeky and welcome to the Forum! I still believe that the Wessex is a terrific horn for an incredible price. It does not disappoint. I have had my new Adams for several months, but I still use the Wessex a lot, as I play in many different places here, and I don't feel comfortable using my Adams in places where it could get banged into because of tight quarters or be subject to the elements.
      John Morgan
      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
      Year Round Except Summer:
      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
      Summer Only:
      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Isaiah
        • Nov 2016

I ordered a Wessex Dolce last week and it arrived today. I got a silver one and it happened to be the last one that they have in stock. I played it for about an hour today and I was impressed by it. It sounds good and the valves moved good. I am going to have to get used to the fourth valve, because I have been playing on a Jupiter 3 valve euphonium. In high school I played a Yamaha 321 and the Wessex is probably better than the Yamaha, but I need to play it more to know for sure. Andy from Wessex US was very helpful in helping me order my euphonium. I wouldn't be able to tell where it was manufactured if I didn't know already. It seems to be constructed very well. Now, I just need to join my community band and have fun playing it.

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Isaiah View Post
          I am going to have to get used to the fourth valve, because I have been playing on a Jupiter 3 valve euphonium.
          My advice is to use the proper 4th-valve fingers for everything that goes by slowly. So maybe down to an eighth-note value. For 16th-note runs and tricky stuff give yourself a break for now and use the 3-valve fingerings you are used to. Once the 4-valve versions become second nature, then start to practice them in faster scales, etc. and commence using them in band.

So in treble clef you really only care about these for the common range available to a 3-valve horn:
          Low D: 4
          Low C#: 24
          Low G: 4
          Low F# 24

In bass clef:
          Low C: 4
          Low B natural: 24
          Low F: 4
          Low E natural 24

During your private practice time, gradually start to do some scales starting on middle G (bass clef F) and going downward. Lower the scale by a half step at a time to get yourself low enough that you need 4 plus other valves. For those low-octave notes, simply add 4 to your normal fingering for the octave above. So F below the treble clef (Eb below the bass clef) use 14 because you use 1 in the octave above that. Etc.

Congratulations on your new horn!
          Last edited by davewerden; 12-22-2016, 12:36 PM. Reason: Add search tag "learning4valves"
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

Congrats on your new Wessex! Dave provided some great suggestions on learning to use the 4th valve.

When I started back to playing over 16 years ago, I wasn't used to 4th valve either. I started slow as Dave suggests. Since I read treble clef, I got a copy of a solo I remember playing on trumpet... "Trumpeter's Lullaby" by Leroy Anderson. It starts on TC 'D' (concert 'C'). I even did the 16th note runs using 4th valve, but it sure wasn't real smooth at first. That solo even had a low 'C#' (concert B natural) near the end so I got to use 4-2.

Again, congrats on your new horn.
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
            ​

Comment

• Isaiah
              • Nov 2016

Thanks for the advice Dave.

Comment

• John Morgan
                • Apr 2014

You will like and have fun with the Wessex. Super horn and it continues to amaze me every time I play it! The 4th valve is fun and very, very useful for both intonation and technique. Learn it well, it is your friend!
                John Morgan
                Summer Only:

Comment

• Tubadewey
                  • Jan 2017

Folks,
                  I want to thank all for sharing your wisdom in this forum. I am new to this forum and because of your thoughts and comments I recently purchased a Wessex Dolce and am very impressed with the quality and attention to detail in the manufacture and design. I am an amateur tuba and euphonium player who returned to playing again 18 years ago after a 20 year hiatus and thanks to private lessons, a lot of practice and the help of musicians like yourselves, I thoroughly enjoy playing in the community bands and small ensembles I've been blessed with today. I also have a York Eminence euphonium and purchased the Wessex to save wear & tear on the York and although I've only had it about a month now, the intonation and tone quality is exceptional as you had indicated. I also own and play a Chinese made Eastman 632 CC tuba that Matt Walters redesigned and is a quality instrument at a very reasonable price. Since I know Matt well I was comfortable that some of the issues with the earlier design of that horn had been corrected since he worked on it. I use it also to save wear & tear on my Meinl 3450 which is a much more costly instrument. The Eastman is a very easy playing horn whose intonation is also spot on.
                  I cannot thank you enough for your review and comments on the Dolce and for sharing your wisdom in this forum, where a "hack" like me can learn how to continue to get better.

Best Regards

Comment

• John Morgan
                    • Apr 2014

Tubadewey - So glad you are happy with the Wessex. It is truly a remarkable horn. They are doing great things to bring really good horns to people all over at prices many can afford to pay. Happy days!! I have kept my Wessex even after getting my new Adams E3 in May. Several of my friends wanted to buy it, sorry friends, you will have to go get your own!! Enjoy the horn and many years of happy playing.
                    John Morgan
                    Summer Only:

Comment

• Tubadewey
                      • Jan 2017

Thank you John. All the best to you as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X