Thread: Besson 765 vs Wessex?

Besson 765 vs Wessex?

Greetings. I have recently seen advertised on ebay a couple of used Besson 765, non-compensating horns in the $1600-$1700 price range. The well-regarded Wessex compensating horn sells for about $1200 new. I understand the Besson 765 has a slightly smaller bore and bell (11" vs 12" for the Wessex). Just wondering what anyone thought of the comparison between these horns. I know the 765 isn't going to play/sound the same as the top-of-the line Bessons, but is the Besson name/quality "worth" going that way over the Wessex. Thanks. (not a pro here, just an amateur community band guy...currently playing on a Yamaha 321).

peter

I really like those Besson International-series instruments and think they play really well, but I think this is a no-brainer. The Wessex plays just as well, is supported by Wessex with parts etc., and is compensating. And it costs less.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I really like those Besson International-series instruments and think they play really well, but I think this is a no-brainer. The Wessex plays just as well, is supported by Wessex with parts etc., and is compensating. And it costs less.
    The Bessons have a proven track record for the most part for suffering abuse nobly. If it is going to be roughly-treated then Besson might be a better bet.

The only additional factor might be if you like the tone of the Besson horns better. Every horn has a different sound, after all. Bessons have a very fine sound at the top levels and some of those particular qualities carry down to the lower models. But the Wessex has a very nice sound in its own right - I'm talking about personal preferences that some people may have.

Other than that, I agree with Barry. If I were looking for a horn in the $teens, I'd buy a Wessex.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Reviving an old thread since this is a little relevant to me. Found some used Besson 766 and 765 for almost the same price as a new Wessex Dolce. I am guessing the general opinions haven't changed since 2016? Wessex Dolce is a decent route to go especially with the compensating system, despite Besson having decent track record? Though it seems like the 765/766 models have some plating issues based on reviews.

5. I can speak to this a little since I currently own and play both...
    I have a Besson 765 that I've been playing for about 25 years. At the time I bought it I couldn't afford a compensating horn and the Besson seemed like a good choice. It has been a good horn and I still use it regularly. It does however have some tuning quirks because it is non-compensating. Most of these I have been able to deal with over the years by "lipping" the notes up or down or using alternate fingerings. Recently, in a quest to find a good, inexpensive horn for my teenage son, I picked up a Wessex Dolce. This horn is also a good solid player and is a compensating horn, but still does have some tuning issues. I compared the two very closely and played both regularly for about a year and in the end I decided to go back to my Besson 765. Mainly because I like the horn, am comfortable on it, and liked the tone a little better. Personally I would say that the two are very closely equivalent horns, but for now I think I'm going to sell the Wessex and continue to play the Besson until I can get a Miraphone or Adams.
    Good luck in your search. I don't think you will go wrong with either choice.
    Doug Prowant
    Former Band Director, Current IT Nerd
    Besson New Standard
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Besson 765
    Besson Brevete Baritone
    Conn 88H Trombone

Gone but not forgotten:
    King 2280S
    Willson 2900S
    Wessex Dolce

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    I can speak to this a little since I currently own and play both...
    I have a Besson 765 that I've been playing for about 25 years. At the time I bought it I couldn't afford a compensating horn and the Besson seemed like a good choice. It has been a good horn and I still use it regularly. It does however have some tuning quirks because it is non-compensating. Most of these I have been able to deal with over the years by "lipping" the notes up or down or using alternate fingerings. Recently, in a quest to find a good, inexpensive horn for my teenage son, I picked up a Wessex Dolce. This horn is also a good solid player and is a compensating horn, but still does have some tuning issues. I compared the two very closely and played both regularly for about a year and in the end I decided to go back to my Besson 765. Mainly because I like the horn, am comfortable on it, and liked the tone a little better. Personally I would say that the two are very closely equivalent horns, but for now I think I'm going to sell the Wessex and continue to play the Besson until I can get a Miraphone or Adams.
    Good luck in your search. I don't think you will go wrong with either choice.
    Interesting, equivalent huh. Thank you for the comparison! I've heard that the Wessex Dolce is a clone of Yamaha, so it sounds closer to Yamaha, while Besson sounds like.. well, Besson? (or British Euphonium, they call it?). I'm using the Yamaha EP100, so maybe Wessex may not be too out of place. Hoping to be able to try the Besson one day, when I drop by Singapore.