Below are comments just this week received by Wessex from two professional players on receiving their new instruments quoted with their permission;

From John Morgan, ex-United States Army Band (Pershing's Own) in Washington on receiving Dolce euphonium

I just received my new Wessex Dolce Euphonium this morning. It arrived in excellent condition.

Now my comments: Wow, wow, and WOW!!! I am absolutely blown away with the quality, sound, feel, response, tone, weight, everything!! Just so you know, I am a professional level player, having been in the United States Army Band (Pershing's Own) in Washington, D.C.. for several years. I have continued playing my whole life and play in several groups now, to include a concert band, a summer municipal band, a symphony orchestra (bass trombone), and some other odds and ends.

This horn is absolutely remarkable in how well it plays and sounds. I just sold my Miraphone M5050 and am having an Adams Custom Euphonium being made now that won't be ready for 5-6 months. So, I needed a horn ASAP and one that I could play solos on, as I am doing Carnival of Venice during the next few months. This horn is perfect. I tried Carnival a little while ago, and this horn is going to do the job just fine.

I tried the supplied mouthpiece. It is not bad at all, but I prefer a bit larger mouthpiece, so I am using the Demondrae Thurmond signature model (gold plated) that comes with the Miraphone (actually the one that comes with it is silver, I recently purchased the gold plated equivalent). I will hang onto the supplied mouthpiece as it sounds fine, but is just a bit "thinner" than I like for most of my playing. It may work well for stuff requiring high chops.

This truly is a stunningly good horn in every way. I see nothing at all to complain about. I can make it sound beautiful. I know that some of the horn sound is a direct result of who is behind it, but you still have to have a decent horn to get a really good sound. This one sings. And it plays the high concert B natural just fine. All of my Bessons, my Hirsbrunner, and my Yamaha 842S could not play that note well. The intonation seems really good, I have not put it on a tuner yet, but I have a pretty good ear, and what I hear seems to be just about spot on.

You really have a winner here. I would not be able to understand why every junior and senior high school band in the USA (world) would not want to buy and use these horns for their students. What a terrific value and a great horn for any student to learn and progress on. And keep forever.

So, I guess you know I am a happy camper, and I DO NOT plan on sending the horn back. You cannot have it!!!! It's mine!!!!

Thanks again for the prompt service.
From James Kelloway, B.Mus (Hons) M.Mus (Sur) on Wessex Symphonic Eb tuba

Dear Jonathan,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for the time you spent with me today selecting my new tuba.

I confess I went in sceptical about the compromise I’d have to make for the lower price point and frankly I was amazed. Not only was the instrument superb in all respects (free blowing, intonation, valves, finish etc), but in my view it surpasses others of significantly greater cost.

I hope you have a good trip to China and please pass on my sincere thanks to those that spend the time manufacturing such a great instrument.

I look forward to many happy years of playing ahead with my new symphonic Wessex!

Kind regards,

James