Thread: Wessex Tubas Get Harder!!!

1. Wessex Tubas Get Harder!!!

Ever since Wessex started almost five years ago we have been working hard to make our range better with during the last 18 months visiting to the factory every three months, not just to check and play test every single instrument before accepting to assure quality, but to work with production to continually raise the standards higher with every batch.

Although we have had very positive feedback on how Wessex play, one area of complaint from customers has been that they can dent too easily, so we have been looking how that can be mitigated. The brass is exactly the same metal (70% copper) and same thickness as the more expensive brands, so the key was manufacturing methods.

Now in liaison with retired engineer from one of the previous classic American brass factories, we have implemented a new process to harden the bells of all Wessex just like on the classic American brass.

The difference this makes has even exceeded my expectations. Not only will they better repel dents, but play notably easier with clearer tone and greater projection. This was well illustrated during most recent quality check at factory in October. On checking the next batch of Champion Eb tubas, one did not play with quite as much 'zing' as the others. On looking over wondering why, I identified by minor details (we are tweaking with every batch) that it was one left over from previous batch before the bell hardening was implemented. A true 'blind' test of the difference. So what was already a nice playing tuba, is now even better.

The new 'hardened' Wessex are now in stock. Give them a try - I think you will be amazed just how high quality they have become and how incredibly well they now play!

We will be exhibiting at the US Army Workshop in Washington, February 2016 with at least 5 new models.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 12-20-2015 at 04:11 PM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Very interesting! Thanks for updating us, Jonathan. There are so many decisions to be made in this process - I'm glad I'm not the one making them. It sounds like a good move to recruit someone with a different realm of experience. It's the "two heads are better than one" theory, I guess, but I'm sure it is a benefit to draw on his long experience.

Does this change apply to euphoniums, too?

Also, in my experience a harder bottom bow would be an advantage (assume it does not interfere with the response and tone). That area is a real dent magnet on any horn. I see lots of classic Bessons, arguably one of the tougher brands, on eBay with considerable denting on the bottom bow.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Dave, the change certainly does apply to euphonium and in fact the entire Wessex range up to trumpets. Wessex trombone consultant, Chip Hoehler has found it also noticeably improves the trombones with the biggest effect on yellow brass bells. Before gold brass was considerably better - with the hardening the difference has narrowed.

I am sure further improvements will follow as all processes are reviewed by an expert with many years of brass manufacturing experience.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 12-20-2015 at 05:33 PM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

4. Any hint as to the 5 new models?

John

5. Bubbie 5 F/Eb Travel tuba
    Rotary Eb tuba Danube
    Compact piston BBb tuba Stumpy
    Eb tuba Elf (Junior Eb)
    New bell front Baritone

And just possibly new 5/4 CC tuba

Plus;
    Excelsior BBb tuba
    Berg F tuba
    Prague BBb tuba
    Luzern BBb tuba
    Dolce Euphonium

And more...
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

I know you kinda covered it, but is the Baritone also receiving this treatment? I intend to purchase one within a month or so, and would love to have this feature. My Dolce is great, but it does seem to be a little prone to tiny dings, which I'd love to be able to avoid on a new horn
    Last edited by Mederlock; 12-21-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    Michael Lajeunesse
    Wessex Dolce in Lacquer, Dennis Wick 4AL with DW 'tone booster' MP sleeve
    Cosmopolitan Music Society of Edmonton, euphonium section

7. Yes, the baritone have hardened bells
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page