Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cerveny Tubas (instruments)

Nope. Standard American shank. In fact, I got a couple of Perantucci mouthpieces for it and had the shanks turned down by Kanstul.

By the way, I made my own wraps for it out of leather I got from the local Tandy store. It's easy enough to do if you take your time and make templates out of paper or just do careful trial and error. But good leather is surprisingly expensive (especially if it's a bit thicker than most of the wraps commercially available).
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Nope. Standard American shank. In fact, I got a couple of Perantucci mouthpieces for it and had the shanks turned down by Kanstul.

By the way, I made my own wraps for it out of leather I got from the local Tandy store. It's easy enough to do if you take your time and make templates out of paper or just do careful trial and error. But good leather is surprisingly expensive (especially if it's a bit thicker than most of the wraps commercially available).
    Wow interesting on the shank size. I have always wanted to try a leather gaurd for mine. I have used tennis racket tape which is temporary but actually works well to keep the sweat off.
    1974 Amati/Cerveny BBb Tuba
    SX 5-String Jazz Bass

On my Cerveny I used fairly thick (3-4 mm?) leather, punched holes in it, soaked it, and laced it on with rawhide boot lacing. As it dries, it conforms tightly to the surface. (This trick is a "technology transfer" from the use of leather holsters for handguns. Every gunslinger/cowboy knows it's the only way to form fit your pistol to the holster.)

What I'm using now on my Wessex tuba and my bass trombone is easier, cheaper, and probably better: smooth shelf/drawer liner (not the waffled stuff) that I get at Lowes. Once I get it the shape and size I want, I just put it on and super glue the seam(s). Done. It provides a great grip and a total moisture barrier. Before I put it on, I trace the final pattern on a sheet of paper and digitize the image. That way, if I need to cut a guard off, I can make a new one in minutes.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 06-11-2016 at 07:42 AM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12