Thread: Flying with an Adams Euphonium Case (Marcus Bonna) ? / WTB: JP Pro or flight case

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER

Unhappy Flying with an Adams Euphonium Case (Marcus Bonna) ? / WTB: JP Pro or flight case

For those of you with the MB case, I was wondering if you would trust the case if you had to check your horn at the airport? I have heard of someone paying for handled baggage and the horn made it from England to the US safe.

I don't have a MB case, and a brand new one is just out of my price range. I'm looking for a used JP Pro case, or a used flight case.

Be on the look out for a FS post from me soon... I'm going to have to sell some gear (gig bag, mouthpieces, and maybe a horn). I need for money to pay for college.

Happy Holidays!
    Yamaha 642s Neo

Yes, I would trust the MB case as checked luggage. Having said that, I have a lot of faith in our airline baggage handlers - I think they could manage to damage a horn in any "normal" hard case I know of! But the MB is about as good as it gets for that kind of protection.

By "normal" I mean a case that is made roughly like cases usually are, and can be carried about daily if you want to. I'm differentiating from something like an Anvil case or any case that is so beefy you would not consider carrying it around daily.

The JP copy looks very, very similar in shape and configuration. Unproven, to me at least, is the quality of materials, but they may be just fine. Also, I don't know if they have the wide leather strap for the bottom bow that mine has. I believe that a case needs to have a way to secure the bottom bow into the padding, which would therefore help keep the bell from slamming against the opposite end of the case.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Given the numerous reports of negligence or outright malicious handling of instruments (and other baggage) you should definitely insure your instrument before trusting it to baggage handlers. (Important note: I think that US domestic airline liability is limited to $3500, certainly not enough to replace your valuable euphonium.)
    Check out pictures of this double bass/fiberglass case, which look like they were run over by a truck: http://www.thestrad.com/cpt-latests/...s-double-bass/

Having flown with mine, I would say that enhite is right. The MB case is great but it doesn't protect from negligent handling. This is ehat happened with my Adams in it MB case and it crunched the bell. The case is really durable, but if they drop it, it wont stop it from getting damaged.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84