Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Her First Euphonium

Her First Euphonium

Hi, everyone!

After 6 years playing school owned Euphoniums, our HS Junior has asked for her own, and she's proven her commitment to the instrument! Her favorite was a Besson compensating horn her middle school had in their inventory, but we're finding that used compensating Besson's are hard to come by. I'm not a musician, so I'm uncomfortably lost in this search, but I was very relieved to come across fellow-retired Coast Guardsman Dave's site.

We're trying to avoid the cost of a new horn, but we realize they hold their value well, so we're resigned to close-to-new prices. We live in Charleston, SC, so we've also come to realize traveling will be necessary to try and buy. Chicago, New York, Baltimore and Nashville the most musical towns we can fly direct to. If you know of a used Besson around you, we'll be there as soon as we can. If not, what else should we consider? Any other advice for us?

Thank you!

2. I live in Texas, and have a Besson Prestige. I'd like to think that I take extremely good care of the instrument. If I get it professionally cleaned I can comfortably say that the horn's quality is like new (No cosmetic damages, valves work perfectly, slides move with minimal force, main tuning slide is as smooth as a trombone slide). The horn is about 28 months old and I've been using a Cronkhite bag so if you look up close the silver is a little discolored. If you're interested, I'd be happy to send pictures and what not.

Hello, best part of playing is the excitement of finding that next horn! I got my pro-level used horn from Dillon Music in NJ. Did it all online. They have a 14 day test period where you can return for shipping costs if you dont like it. They always have new horns, but occasionally have good used horns. I checked and at the moment they have two nice Yamaha 642s, no Besson. You could call them and see if they can hunt one down; they were really good to work with.

Have fun!
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

I don't know if it is still for sale, but there was a professional level used Sterling Virtuoso listed for a reasonable price. Mr. Werden and others who have played Sterlings compare them favorably to older (and better sounding) Bessons. (Unlike Bessons, I believe that professional level Sterlings are still being made in England.) It was listed by "EuphoniumNurse101" in Tuba and/or Euphonium: For Sale/Wanted to Buy in this website.

I have a friend from college who was just thinking about selling his. Ill talk to him

I have to say that I think the focus on Besson is probably not the wisest approach. It REALLY narrows the possibilities and excludes a number of other perfectly good instruments (ranging from Chinese clones through British, German, and Swiss instruments). My guess (and I emphasize that) is that she prefers the Besson because it's probably the only decent instrument she has been able to play. But the inference from that to "I have to have a Besson" is something of a stretch.

Here are a couple of other suggestions if you can avoid being in a rush to buy a Besson:

1. There are several Tuba Christmas events in SC -- including one in Charleston on Dec. 15. See http://www.tubachristmas.com/readtcloc.php?TCState=SC for details. Go to one and see if some people will let her try their horns. Most people playing at these events are VERY supportive of young players -- and you might find some instruments for sale.
    2. The US Army tuba/euphonium workshop is Feb. 3-6 in Arlington VA: http://www.usarmyband.com/tuba/. There will be hundreds of tuba and euphonium players there, and a significant number of instrument vendors (Wessex, Tuba Exchange, etc., etc.) in a large room. MUCH opportunity for trying instruments, making contacts, trying out horns, and finding some used ones for sale. And you'll be close to Baltimore Brass and not TOO far from Dillon. Plus, it's just a great experience to hear those people play. My wife and I went last year and it was fantastic. The workshop is totally free and open to the public. Parking at the conference site on base is easy. And all you have to worry about is finding a place to stay and driving around Arlington (which can be a little challenging). Places to stay range from nearby motels to higher-end hotels.

I would just caution against excessive haste and too narrow a target in this case.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I have a very nice Prestige compensator as well...near Indianapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I have to say that I think the focus on Besson is probably not the wisest approach. It REALLY narrows the possibilities and excludes a number of other perfectly good instruments (ranging from Chinese clones through British, German, and Swiss instruments). My guess (and I emphasize that) is that she prefers the Besson because it's probably the only decent instrument she has been able to play. But the inference from that to "I have to have a Besson" is something of a stretch.
    However, some of use just love the unique sound of an English euphonium. That said, Gary is correct in saying it is wise to try other makes of euphoniums and offers good advice on where to try out other instruments.

I love the sound and playability of my Besson 981 clone (though in fact it's probably better in some significant ways than a lot of the real Bessons). But it took me a long time to get there and be able to make the informed comparison and choice.

This euphonium will probably just be the first one she has. Though you never know. The guy I learned most of my music from (Bob LeBlanc, who was my high school band director and then low brass professor at Ohio State for decades: http://www.windsongpress.com/centenn...ry/leblanc.pdf) bought an old 1927 York CC tuba when he was an undergraduate, cut it to play in tune, and never used another horn for the rest of his life.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Everyone should at least try different brands and model, since some horns don't play like you want (ergonomically, soundwise, etc.).
    On the topic of Besson, even though I love my Willson (and I can do everything that I want on it), Somehow I always get a certain feeling that I can't describe when I play a Besson or Boossey and Hawkes, and it doesn't matter if it was with the instrument I started on (a Besson New Standard compensating baritone from around the 1960's), the Besson 700 I played on, the International I played on till last September, or the B&H Sovereign I play on now, there is this strange feeling that I have - A kind of faith that the instrument will help me or something (even though I didn't have that as much with the International, it still had something). It might be a kind of nostalgia to the start of my musical education on that baritone, or something completely different. But that doesn't mean other brands can do that to someone else. Again, I would have the same feeling when I'll play on my Willson again this weekend (after three weeks not being able to play on it).
    Don't look for Bessons just because they are Bessons, there are a lot of other instruments out there that may fit her better.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast