Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: valve oil ?

1. While blue juice is good for most. In my experience, you may have to try a few different ones to find out what works best for you. Everyone's body chemistry is different, blue juice did not work well for me, my valves would be sluggish often, and it left a blueish green gunk in my valves. I switched to Zaja aroma therapy and it worked great. I also like Yamaha synthetic oils.

I've tried most of the major brands, on horns new and very used.

Fat Cat, Blue Juice, Al Cass, Yamaha, leBlanc just to name a few.

I settled on Hetmans, as it comes in multiple grades for different applications.

As a tip for a player having to run a worn-out horn with no compression on occasion, put a few drops of STP in a cheap bottle of valve oil....she'll perk right up for about half a gig.

Dennis

Another vote for Blue Juice. They also have big bottles which you can use to refill the small bottles in your case. Especially helpful if you have more than one horn. We discovered that when our son was still a trumpet player living at home.

http://www.wwbw.com/Blue-Juice-Valve...-i1133496.wwbw

Cass, but if BJ or other brand works for you, go for it.

5. My previous private instructor told me that Blue Juice can create bluish green gunk build up in the bottom of the valves and the tuning slides. Has anyone else had this problem? To be fair, his euphonium is a pretty old Besson Sovereign from around 1975 and has some rot near the handle, so it could have something to do with age.
    Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone

I've not had that problem with BJ. In fact, BJ has the opposite affect and keeps my valves and casings clean.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I agree with Rick. I can get deposits from any oil, although it is much worse for me with synthetics. Blue Juice is by far the best oil I have ever used for lubrication and for not messing up the horn.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Alright. I guess I'll just have to get myself down to my local music store and grab a bottle!
    Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    Valve oil is a personal choice and you just gotta experiment. I have used Blue Juice and it has gunked up my horn, but its not a bad oil, it just wasn't the one for me. I used Blue Juice for awhile, then switched to Al Class, and now I'm using a company called Monster Oil. They're a pretty cool company and I think its the best oil for me.
    Yamaha 642s Neo

I used Hetman synthetic oil for a while a few years back but that caused a build up of green-yellowish slime. Then I switched to 'La Tromba T2 valve oil special' and I've never had any problems ever since. It's in a transparent bottle with a blue cap.
    Last edited by TheJH; 12-30-2015 at 06:17 AM.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast