Sponsor Banner

Collapse

What Leather Grip Should I get for my Schiller Euphonium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Large guards would have an effect on tone IMHO. I experienced that myself when I used to make my own. I had a leather guard that went around the bell, and it spanned from the joint at the bottom of the bell up to the leadpipe. The tone was just a bit different when I used that guard. The one I made that went around the 3rd valve's slide tubes did not seem to matter at all.

But now I don't use the bell guard at all. I DO use the hand strap from Valerie Wells and I would not play without it. The strap wraps around my horn on the large bow, right where two braces are affixed (the one for the 3rd valve's slide tube and the one for the tuning slide tube). So that area is already "braced" and can't vibrate as freely as the unencumbered spans. The Adams is all about resonance and vibrations, and I don't find that the strap makes any difference.

Here is the strap I'm talking about:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...uph-Strap-quot

You can see the strap in action on this video:

This Nearly Was Mine from South Pacific
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
      • Jun 2018

Thanks for the input, sir! Think I will try and see how to make sure my strap is as near to the braced area. Makes sense though! The braced area shouldn't be vibrating as freely as the rest of the tubes that aren't connected to any braces, so I should be able to minimize the effect a little bit more.
      "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
      Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
      https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• John Morgan
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        ...You can see the strap in action on this video:

This Nearly Was Mine from South Pacific
        I noticed you playing the in the staff G 1&2. This seems different from most of what I have seen from you, especially when the G is held a bit. Have you found the intonation on the E3 sufficiently good for the G to use 1&2 instead of 3? That G plays pretty well in tune on my E3 using 1&2. Nice playing as always.
        John Morgan
        The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
        Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
        1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
        Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
        Year Round Except Summer:
        Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
        KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
        Summer Only:
        Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
        Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
          I noticed you playing the in the staff G 1&2. This seems different from most of what I have seen from you, especially when the G is held a bit. Have you found the intonation on the E3 sufficiently good for the G to use 1&2 instead of 3? That G plays pretty well in tune on my E3 using 1&2. Nice playing as always.
          Thanks, John. On my E3, 12 is usable in many contexts, but I still like 3. Kinda depends on my mood! In the video below, you'll see I use 3rd on the first song. But in the second song I used 12 because it was a melodic transition from 23. However, I think it was a bit too sharp - didn't notice it until it was too late.

"Flying" Medley
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• jblack1
            • Dec 2018

I just received guards for my Yamaha 321. I wish they had pictures of placement on the LSCO website. I am having difficulty installing the 3rd valve section guard and the left hand 4th valve guard. I think I did the right hand bar guard and the 1st valve thumb guard correctly. Anyone have suggestions?

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
              • Jun 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2019-07-14_22-35-05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	117559

After 3 prototypes since the first one I made that was shown earlier in this thread. This is the latest one that I'm rather satisfied with. A lot more sleek and more "put together" (though still doesn't look too clean as I hand-sewn it rather haphazardly. I have to admit, I can't live without straps now, it's just much easier and less taxing with a strap than without!
              Last edited by ChristianeSparkle; 07-30-2019, 09:13 AM.
              "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
              Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
              https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• jkircoff
                • Jan 2013

The last time I met up with Steven Mead he discouraged me from using a strap, saying it adds additional stress to the arm. I haven't used a strap since, however the euphonium is a heavy instrument (especially if you have a trigger), and I would not discourage those who use a strap to help with weight distrubution to give some physical comfort.
                James Kircoff
                Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
                Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

Working...
                X