Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We bought another horn.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewillis View Post
    We have both horns at home now so I forced my son to do a little intonation testing between horns.
    [snip]
    The Wessex actually was a bit flat (20 to 30 cents) through the entire compensating range, so I think that is something which can be addressed over time with practice. [snip]

What I will say with certainty is that the tone quality of the compensating range of the Wessex is noticeably better than the Mack. It seems like the Mack is fighting it when he plays that low and the Wessex wants to show off it's range.
    I find that very interesting, thank you.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

That might be just variance in the horns as well. I haven't noticed any pitch problems with my Mack in the compensating range, or in its tone quality there. Of course, I do use a fairly large mouthpiece compared to many other amateur players. But I've used that horn without any difficulty to play tuba and bass trombone parts (with a Wick 3AL). When I got the horn, I tried a couple of the Mead mouthpieces (SM4...), but found them to be just too constraining. For me, in fact, it's pretty much of a toss-up whether it's easier to play the Tuba 1 parts in the Tuba Christmas book on that euphonium or on my EEb Wessex tuba. But the tuba just sounds better in the octave below the staff, where the euph starts to sound a bit more like a bass trombone.

I confess that it's difficult (without practicing on a really regular basis), to get the F and the E the full octave below the staff (Is that E1 and F1? Anyway, it's the pedal F on the F horn and the E a half step below it). How are those on the Wessex?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12