Thread: I got the privilege to meet Steven Mead.

1. Cool I got the privilege to meet Steven Mead.

Yes, Steven Mead came to my high school, performed some songs, and did a clinic with us (group of about 40 from around the area). Wow! Even after watching countless videos and hearing most of his music, to meet him in person was incredible. It was a huge eye-opener for me. His tone and range stood out to me the most. He could play higher than some of our trumpet players, and lower than some of our tuba players. His tone was as deep, dark, and beautiful as ever, and even in the pedal and lower register, he made it sound like he was playing bass trombone.

In our clinic, we went over some pretty routine things. Posture, breathing, and embouchure. What this taught me is that even the best euphonium players in the world do those silly old lip slurs, buzzing and breathing excersizes, etc. It definitely has taught me to give my all, no matter what I am playing.

I should ask: Have you ever met Steven Mead, or heard him play in person? What do you think about him?

If you have anything in particular to say about him, let me know. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Preston
    Freshman Euphonist attending Boise State University
    Member of the BSU Symphonic Winds and Blue Thunder Marching Band
    1943 Boosey & Hawkes Imperial (Denis Wick SM3X)
    Yamaha YBH-301M (Schilke 58)

Hi Preston,

I've had the pleasure a few times to meet Mr. Steven Mead. To hear him perform in person is always better than any recording. He has been a great ambassador for euphonium in helping people appreciate the tone and versatility of the instrument.

He's still one of the best euphonium soloist in the world.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. I recently got to meet him as well! (About half a week ago) Steven came to the Portland, Or. area and a few fellow students and I received an individual lesson from him. He's really quite phenomenal. The amount of different aspects of playing he can hear from an individual are astounding. The biggest thing he had for me was better breathing and support when playing.

Of course, culturally the way he approached things, or the way he stated things was drastically different than we in the Northwest but he got them across none the less. An hour is definitely not enough to like to pick his brain.

Glad he inspired you so! Keep the mentality you have now and let it guide you! Always play like he just came by the day before!

I got to know Steve in the late 1980's when he was working with Sterling, and since then I have seen him often and even performed with him.

He certainly has tons of technique and range, but what impressed me right from the start was how he played slow melodies.

I'm also frankly amazed at his energy! If I had his schedule, even when I was younger, I would have just dropped at some point and taken up painting or something.

Another nice moment was when I introduced him to a student when I was teaching at the U of MN. We were at a Twin Cities "Tubonium" conference where Steve and I both played recitals. Despite the inherent business of these things, Steve took a LOT of time to talk to my student and help guide him on a long-term question he had. Impressive.

He was also kind enough to let me post on this site's Articles section a long, open Q&A he had originally hosted on Facebook for a period of several days. Follow this link to read it - some good stuff in there!

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/content...-from-Facebook
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Hi Mr. Floyd,

I completely agree, he really brings a lot of passion and life with him. I thought it was amazing how a man that is known as one of the best euphonium players in the world could still have time for a simple high school low brass section. I also agree that it was a pleasure to meet him, he is a very nice and encouraging person.

Preston

6. I was hoping to go to that concert, but already had plans. He mentioned you guys when he talked to us, and he also did mention posture and breathing first. It was a treat to hear his take on things. Thanks for the advice!

7. Hi Mr. Werden,

First things first, It's a privilege to have your input. You've done a great job with the site, and your euphonium skills are very impressive, to say the least. I too was taken back by his schedule - he went over his next two weeks with us and told us he'd be in numerous countries.

Also, thanks for that link! Your comments always seem to have a relatable and helpful link in them, and I've learned lots from them! I just finished reading the Q and A. It's great when a person as busy and talented as Mr. Mead will still take the time to answer some questions, and even send people autographs. Just like with your student, Mr. Mead gave lengthy answers on questions of this sort and the answers were full of wisdom and guidance.

Again, thanks for the reply and link!
    Preston

I met Steven Mead roughly 4 years ago at a workshop from the provincial brass band. I just passed my second music exam (B) and was only playing a real euphonium for just under two years. Amazing person, and I'll never forget the moment he wanted to play some excersises but forgot to take out his mute :-) Amazing person, being serious when explaining things but also really kind at the same time along with making those typical British jokes.
    I was really nervous when he handed out a piece we all had to play (I got a first cornet part, the notes above the treble cleff bar scared me a bit) because playing in front of Steven Mead as a 15-year-old boy is something you don't do every day.

After the workshop I bought a CD from him which he autographed. After that we attended the concert with the brass band that was linked to the workshop and I was amazed about every aspect of his playing. Really good memories. :-)
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

I met Steve at a weekend-masterclass he did in Germany 5 years ago. I remember him as an amazing euphonium player, an outstanding teacher and a great guy. When he did let us play a little solo, all of us improved a lot with only some corrections and little exercises he taught us. This was a nice weekend, indeed
    Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
    YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
    ... and my cello

Met him a couple of times, and he has worked with a student of mine. Great guy

Steven Mead Masterclass TCU campus 2-17-14:

http://youtu.be/w1aHeqEN2Ok