Thread: Tuba Players and their Horn(s)

Tuba Players and their Horn(s)

This seems to fit tubists better than euphoniumists. Click the picture to expand it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BoughtNewTuba.jpg  
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

This is so true. I good friend of mine who played in the Navy Band, still has 3 tubas. He recently sold his G50 (or CB50) or he would have 4 "heavy-metal" hitters.

I have two, but one is on long-term lone to my grandson.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Two tubas, two functional euphoniums, one bass trombone, a non-functional trombone, and a non-functional baritone -- and I haven't got the "are you going to sell ...?" question yet. It's true that I sold my BBb horn when I got the EEb one, but that's because I didn't see me playing it any longer. In addition, my wife tends to also see brass instruments as objets d'art which, when they aren't actively being used should be displayed on the walls. She even wanted me to put the 1924 Buescher up on the wall since I play it so infrequently. If I can figure out how to do that (with its 17" bell!), I may.

I don't really have much of a lust for multiple tubas. The EEb is my basic horn. The Buescher is for kicks and patriotic occasions. I did come close earlier this year to going for this nice 4-valve rotary Miraphone Eb tuba that Northern Low Brass had, but by the time I was about to do it someone had slurped it up at the rather astonishing low price on it.

I confess to having in the back of my mind that it might be nice to acquire a flugelhorn (a soprano tuba, I suppose) or an old cornet at some point. But the justification there is that these are something I could use in teaching the grandchildren. Maybe an alto trombone would be good for that too?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

4. Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Two tubas, two functional euphoniums, one bass trombone, a non-functional trombone, and a non-functional baritone -- and I haven't got the "are you going to sell ...?" question yet. It's true that I sold my BBb horn when I got the EEb one, but that's because I didn't see me playing it any longer. In addition, my wife tends to also see brass instruments as objets d'art which, when they aren't actively being used should be displayed on the walls. She even wanted me to put the 1924 Buescher up on the wall since I play it so infrequently. If I can figure out how to do that (with its 17" bell!), I may.

I don't really have much of a lust for multiple tubas. The EEb is my basic horn. The Buescher is for kicks and patriotic occasions. I did come close earlier this year to going for this nice 4-valve rotary Miraphone Eb tuba that Northern Low Brass had, but by the time I was about to do it someone had slurped it up at the rather astonishing low price on it.

I confess to having in the back of my mind that it might be nice to acquire a flugelhorn (a soprano tuba, I suppose) or an old cornet at some point. But the justification there is that these are something I could use in teaching the grandchildren. Maybe an alto trombone would be good for that too?
    Try getting a tuba hanger. Our school has them for our king B flat 4 valves.

I tend to make things rather than buy them so far as that is possible. I know that I can make a tuba hanger (and in fact have made a euphonium hanger for my oval euph that could be "up-sized" for the tuba), but doing one that's both functional and decoratively elegant is a bit of a challenge. However you do it (if the material is an attractive wood), it needs to be of laminated construction in order to provide the support necessary. So when I said "figure out", this meant "figure out the details of the design to make it as elegant and non-bulky as possible while being strong enough to support the instrument".

The commercial tuba hangers are great for the band room, but much too ugly for use in the home.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)