Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Wessex Elf Eb tuba

I found that the problematic threads on my Wessex tuba "broke in" too -- but I think (from looking at the threads carefully) that this amounted to some "filling in" taking place with the silicone paste I used on them as lubricant. This eliminated (or at least reduced) the tendency to cross-thread when tightening them. One must continue to take care. I'm a bit surprised that at this point Wessex hasn't absolutely nailed the threading QC issues. If I could take the threads on my 1924 Buescher tuba and transfer them to my Chinese instruments, everything would be GREAT. Of course, that would also require transferring the harder brass alloy as well.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

2. Clean factory dust or else!

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I found that the problematic threads on my Wessex tuba "broke in" too -- but I think (from looking at the threads carefully) that this amounted to some "filling in" taking place with the silicone paste I used on them as lubricant. This eliminated (or at least reduced) the tendency to cross-thread when tightening them. One must continue to take care. I'm a bit surprised that at this point Wessex hasn't absolutely nailed the threading QC issues. If I could take the threads on my 1924 Buescher tuba and transfer them to my Chinese instruments, everything would be GREAT. Of course, that would also require transferring the harder brass alloy as well.
    My Elf is going great guns since a couple of home and hosed cleans to remove all the factory dust. I also rarely leave it bell down/ upside down. I’m not a tuba player, but glad I went for an Eb rather than Bb, given I’m engaged in more simple repertoire in the ensembles I play. It’s so much fun punching out bass lines, the Sousa player is like second chair if that’s a thing lol!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123