Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hornbag
    • Sep 2017

Thanks Gary, you make excellent points re cleaning a new horn. And taking to shop for a look over.
    Given the grit I discovered in all slides and valves in my new Elf, I did water clean it out as much as practical. However the first valve threading (top and bottom cap) is still an issue. Makes me think what you said about cheap tools etc, could be a factor as to where threading issues originate, shallower thread on 1st valve Anyway I’ll try scoring some of the grooves.
    That’s the only issue, my community band doesn’t need a huge bass so the Elf has been great stepping up from euphonium.

Comment

• iiipopes
      • Feb 2016

The third valve slide: has it already been engineered long so that 2+3 only requires a little lipping up and 1+3 a little lipping down? the bow of the 3rd valve slide is awfully close to the bottom bow so that if it has to be pulled to get 2+3 and 1+3 in tune that it will get damaged by a young player, albeit inadvertently. Conn had the right idea of an initial loop up before descending on their third valve slides to keep the slide tubing above the bottom bow so it would not get banged around.

Comment

• ghmerrill
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by hornbag View Post
        Anyway I’ll try scoring some of the grooves.
        Get a good magnifying glass or (what I typically use) a headband magnifier, and you will probably be able to see the flaws in the threads. They're really difficult to repair without a thread chaser because they're so fine. And often you'll discover that the thread path is okay, but the height of the thread varies and is uneven. There's really no way to fix that with a file or some scoring instrument, or maybe even a chaser. At times in such situations I've thought about "rebuilding" the threads with epoxy, but that's really tricky -- especially in the case of fine threads, and on brass. Before I did that, I'd take it to someone with the right tools and experience, and have them rebuild/recut the threads.
        Gary Merrill
        Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
        Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
        Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
        1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
        Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
        1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• hornbag
          • Sep 2017

Hi again Elf soothsayers and players: my horn has improved valve wise, like ‘breaking in’ if that’s a thing, but maybe it is due to cleaning out a lot of the factory dust a couple times, and that has made a big improvement. It’s a fab student horn, bang for buck, but peops needs to know how to take care of it too. For what I play sometimes, i’m enjoying making it fat enough to sub for double bass.
          Last edited by hornbag; 09-05-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• hornbag
            • Sep 2017

Thanks for your reply Gary, I meant ‘scoring’ the thread in the sense it’s like a last resort, yes almost impossible to do. but anyway all cap threads seem ok now on the Elf. I guess I used the term ‘scoring’ as I recall my father was able to rethread many things, via various means in last century time of metalworking.

Comment

• ghmerrill
              • Dec 2011

I found that the problematic threads on my Wessex tuba "broke in" too -- but I think (from looking at the threads carefully) that this amounted to some "filling in" taking place with the silicone paste I used on them as lubricant. This eliminated (or at least reduced) the tendency to cross-thread when tightening them. One must continue to take care. I'm a bit surprised that at this point Wessex hasn't absolutely nailed the threading QC issues. If I could take the threads on my 1924 Buescher tuba and transfer them to my Chinese instruments, everything would be GREAT. Of course, that would also require transferring the harder brass alloy as well.
              Gary Merrill
              Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
              Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
              Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
              1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
              Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
              1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• hornbag
                • Sep 2017

Clean factory dust or else!

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
                I found that the problematic threads on my Wessex tuba "broke in" too -- but I think (from looking at the threads carefully) that this amounted to some "filling in" taking place with the silicone paste I used on them as lubricant. This eliminated (or at least reduced) the tendency to cross-thread when tightening them. One must continue to take care. I'm a bit surprised that at this point Wessex hasn't absolutely nailed the threading QC issues. If I could take the threads on my 1924 Buescher tuba and transfer them to my Chinese instruments, everything would be GREAT. Of course, that would also require transferring the harder brass alloy as well.
                My Elf is going great guns since a couple of home and hosed cleans to remove all the factory dust. I also rarely leave it bell down/ upside down. IÂ’m not a tuba player, but glad I went for an Eb rather than Bb, given IÂ’m engaged in more simple repertoire in the ensembles I play. ItÂ’s so much fun punching out bass lines, the Sousa player is like second chair if thatÂ’s a thing lol!

Comment

• Blatherings
                  • Nov 2009

Resurrecting a very old thread.....I'm considering an Elf as an "old person tuba." I saw discussion of false tones but no resolution....I've had a 3 valve Eb before that had very usable false tones, but it was horribly out of tune with itself and made its way elsewhere. So I'm very interested as to whether the Elf has at least one good false tone that makes that lowest half octave playable by a competent player. And has the thread problem been solved? TIA.

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                    • Apr 2013

A smaller bore tuba like the Elf will not have good false tones. If you want the whole range to play into the low register, get the TE360 Bombino. That is an incredible tuba with excellent intonation throughout.

For valve threads, I think that is sorted in that we can check a hundred horns and have no problem screwing on valve caps on any. It is rare to see that problem now.
                    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
                    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
                    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• Blatherings
                      • Nov 2009

Asking again....Bombinos seem to be unavailable right now and I'm not sure I would like the 3+1. Looking again at both the Elf and the Bubbie, wondering which, in Eb, would be more suitable for a tuba player who wants something small and which sounds and plays like a tuba. Playability and intonation are the two criteria. I've owned and played all four keys of tuba and find that Eb seems to fit best.

Comment

• John Morgan
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Blatherings View Post
                        Asking again....Bombinos seem to be unavailable right now and I'm not sure I would like the 3+1. Looking again at both the Elf and the Bubbie, wondering which, in Eb, would be more suitable for a tuba player who wants something small and which sounds and plays like a tuba. Playability and intonation are the two criteria. I've owned and played all four keys of tuba and find that Eb seems to fit best.
                        I am mainly a euphonium player, but I bought a Wessex Eb Bombino tuba a few years ago to play in a brass quintet, church ensembles, and I might eventually play it in a concert band. It is a great tuba, and not real large. I would choose this instrument over either one of your possibilities above. This tuba has great intonation, and it sounds like a tuba. You don't have to wonder or worry about false tones with this horn. Each time I play this horn (which isn't too often), I am quite amazed at the sound, tone, intonation and the general quality of this horn. It is a very playable horn. A great Eb tuba.
                        John Morgan
                        The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                        Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                        1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                        Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                        Year Round Except Summer:
                        Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                        KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                        Summer Only:
                        Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                        Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Blatherings View Post
                          Definitely, the Elf is a better tuba to use in an ensemble - the Bubbie really is just a practice tuba. The Elf plays and sounds great just like the Bombino, but only has 3-valves and is non-compensated.

I happily use the Elf when I want the lightest Eb tuba.
                          www.Wessex-Tubas.com
                          Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
                          Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• Blatherings
                            • Nov 2009

Looks like the Elf is also not available. I know shipping is piggish right now, for everything. Any clue as to when either Bombinos or Elfs will be here?

Comment

Working...
                            X