Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Wessex Elf Eb tuba

I found that the problematic threads on my Wessex tuba "broke in" too -- but I think (from looking at the threads carefully) that this amounted to some "filling in" taking place with the silicone paste I used on them as lubricant. This eliminated (or at least reduced) the tendency to cross-thread when tightening them. One must continue to take care. I'm a bit surprised that at this point Wessex hasn't absolutely nailed the threading QC issues. If I could take the threads on my 1924 Buescher tuba and transfer them to my Chinese instruments, everything would be GREAT. Of course, that would also require transferring the harder brass alloy as well.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

2. Clean factory dust or else!

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I found that the problematic threads on my Wessex tuba "broke in" too -- but I think (from looking at the threads carefully) that this amounted to some "filling in" taking place with the silicone paste I used on them as lubricant. This eliminated (or at least reduced) the tendency to cross-thread when tightening them. One must continue to take care. I'm a bit surprised that at this point Wessex hasn't absolutely nailed the threading QC issues. If I could take the threads on my 1924 Buescher tuba and transfer them to my Chinese instruments, everything would be GREAT. Of course, that would also require transferring the harder brass alloy as well.
    My Elf is going great guns since a couple of home and hosed cleans to remove all the factory dust. I also rarely leave it bell down/ upside down. I’m not a tuba player, but glad I went for an Eb rather than Bb, given I’m engaged in more simple repertoire in the ensembles I play. It’s so much fun punching out bass lines, the Sousa player is like second chair if that’s a thing lol!

3. Resurrecting a very old thread.....I'm considering an Elf as an "old person tuba." I saw discussion of false tones but no resolution....I've had a 3 valve Eb before that had very usable false tones, but it was horribly out of tune with itself and made its way elsewhere. So I'm very interested as to whether the Elf has at least one good false tone that makes that lowest half octave playable by a competent player. And has the thread problem been solved? TIA.

4. A smaller bore tuba like the Elf will not have good false tones. If you want the whole range to play into the low register, get the TE360 Bombino. That is an incredible tuba with excellent intonation throughout.

For valve threads, I think that is sorted in that we can check a hundred horns and have no problem screwing on valve caps on any. It is rare to see that problem now.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

5. Asking again....Bombinos seem to be unavailable right now and I'm not sure I would like the 3+1. Looking again at both the Elf and the Bubbie, wondering which, in Eb, would be more suitable for a tuba player who wants something small and which sounds and plays like a tuba. Playability and intonation are the two criteria. I've owned and played all four keys of tuba and find that Eb seems to fit best.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatherings View Post
    Asking again....Bombinos seem to be unavailable right now and I'm not sure I would like the 3+1. Looking again at both the Elf and the Bubbie, wondering which, in Eb, would be more suitable for a tuba player who wants something small and which sounds and plays like a tuba. Playability and intonation are the two criteria. I've owned and played all four keys of tuba and find that Eb seems to fit best.
    I am mainly a euphonium player, but I bought a Wessex Eb Bombino tuba a few years ago to play in a brass quintet, church ensembles, and I might eventually play it in a concert band. It is a great tuba, and not real large. I would choose this instrument over either one of your possibilities above. This tuba has great intonation, and it sounds like a tuba. You don't have to wonder or worry about false tones with this horn. Each time I play this horn (which isn't too often), I am quite amazed at the sound, tone, intonation and the general quality of this horn. It is a very playable horn. A great Eb tuba.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

7. Quote Originally Posted by Blatherings View Post
    Asking again....Bombinos seem to be unavailable right now and I'm not sure I would like the 3+1. Looking again at both the Elf and the Bubbie, wondering which, in Eb, would be more suitable for a tuba player who wants something small and which sounds and plays like a tuba. Playability and intonation are the two criteria. I've owned and played all four keys of tuba and find that Eb seems to fit best.
    Definitely, the Elf is a better tuba to use in an ensemble - the Bubbie really is just a practice tuba. The Elf plays and sounds great just like the Bombino, but only has 3-valves and is non-compensated.

I happily use the Elf when I want the lightest Eb tuba.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

8. Looks like the Elf is also not available. I know shipping is piggish right now, for everything. Any clue as to when either Bombinos or Elfs will be here?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123