Thread: Recommendations of music?

Recommendations of music?

Hi there

I've been playing brass for nearly 20 years, and Euphonium for most of them, but recently I've been playing a lot less and been feeling less motivated to play. I've realised one of the reasons for this is the music I have available to me; much of it either feels too basic and dull, or is gratuitously complicated without being enjoyable to play and master. Given that I'm a competent player (I started working on a diploma a few years ago, but found I hadn't the time to put into it to make it worthwhile), and some of the most enjoyable music I've played have been several beautiful soaring melodies by Horowitz and Vaughan Williams, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not particularly bothered about playing music that was written for euph, but more about music that is enjoyable to play on it...

Cheers in anticipation

Sam

Welcome to the forum, Sam!

I understand your frustration, believe me! In my current position I can play pretty much whatever I'm in the mood to play. I've done a bunch of videos over the last few years that fall into that category. Check out my channel on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/dwerden/videos

In many cases if you open the full description you'll find a link to get the music. The music is mostly playable by most euphoniumists, but there are some tough ones in the mix, too.

Your frustration is one of several reasons I put together a new etude book, which Cimarron Music should have ready in the next couple of months. These etudes are a bit more interesting than some you may have run across before (along the lines of the Rochut, but I like these better overall).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hi Dave

thanks for the reply! I've had a listen to some of the music on your youtube channel, and I've found it most encouraging; I think I'll probably buy a copy of your book when it turns up. I've had a look on Cimarron's website, and found shipping to Europe costs more than most of the music they sell, will they be selling the book as paper print only or do you know if I'll be able to purchase a downloadable version of it?

Quote Originally Posted by ktundu View Post
    ...will they be selling the book as paper print only or do you know if I'll be able to purchase a downloadable version of it?
    I can find out. By "downloadable" do you mean a PDF file or would a Kindle book be better?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

A PDF would be vastly preferable (quite a lot of their music already has PDF download as an option...)

What about joining a community band -or- starting a small brass ensemble?
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

ktundu:

You might enjoy this concert review, where the Jenkins Concerto for Euphonium and Orchestra was discussed. The soloist was David Childs. Here are a couple quotes, but you can read the whole article to get complete context.

Like the pint of Guinness I enjoyed with my pork scratchings, the euphonium is an acquired taste. The Guinness slipped down a treat, but Sir Karl Jenkins' Concerto for Euphonium and Orchestra was harder to swallow, even in the hands of superb euphonium player, David Childs.
    although one was left wondering what was the logic of this strange concerto.
    From Wales Online, reviewer Peter Collins, Oct. 17, 2015:
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-o...ncert-10278848
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by ktundu View Post
    A PDF would be vastly preferable (quite a lot of their music already has PDF download as an option...)
    My publisher says it will be available in PDF format!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

That's fantastic, I'll keep an eye open for it coming out (I've had a look and it doesn't look like it's been released online yet).

There are a couple of brass bands in my city, both of which I've played with at some point, but neither of them meets in at all a convenient time or place, and both seem very much more geared towards playing competitions than they are towards playing things that are actually enjoyable to play. When I auditioned for the local university orchestra, I was told I would have been good enough had they got any music in that year's program that had euph parts. As for starting a group, that would require more time than I have at the minute - I've done it before, and what usually happens is we start off really enthusiastic, play a few times in public, and then run out of steam within about a year. I still play mandolin and acoustic guitar in a folk band I founded, but sadly euph wouldn't fit in there very well...

I did find that review rather amusing, thanks. I completely agree - I've heard a recording of the piece, and parts of it are absolutely lovely, while other parts just don't seem to fit, though I suppose that was probably the feeling Jenkins was going for...

This one of many solos I've written for exclusively euphonium. This one is available either with piano or wind band. https://soundcloud.com/knuxie35/6-ai...-south-central