Thread: advice on I&K Music brand

advice on I&K Music brand

I'm in the market for a budget Euphonium, now because I live in australia, it's hard to find a model that isn't a student model, I was wondering if anyone has purchased:

http://www.iandkmusic.com.au/Euphoni...ng%20Eupho.htm

or similar, I don't want to go and spend $1.2k just for it to be very bad, so it's my hopes that maybe someone can shine light on this brand? I am aware that the I&K brand is made in china, I called the store and spoke with the person in charge, he was very helpful and answered all of my questions.

also what would be the difference between the above Euphonium, and this one? should I spend the extra to get the full compensating, or just go for this one:

http://www.iandkmusic.com.au/Euphoni...e%20Silver.htm

any advice is welcome, thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but I've never heard of the I&K brand. It looks similar to some other Chinese clones that copy the Yamaha 642. From the pics the valve stroke looks to be a bit longer than other models, but not sure.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

The compensating horn seems like the standard copy-of-a-Yamaha clone. As such, it is geared toward being similar to a pro horn in some ways. The non-comp horn seems like it is made for students. The 4th valve pokes through between the 3rd slide and the large branch, so it is made for smaller hands. If your hands are small, that might lead you toward the cheaper horn, but only if you would gladly settle for a little poorer playing experience. But if you are intent on being a long-term player, you might be better off with the compensating horn. It probably has better playing qualities.

You might ask them to double-check the bore measurement, though. The compensating horn says 16.8mm and the non-comp says it is 17.8mm. Both those are really large for a euphonium!

Years ago I came to the conclusion with automobiles that WHERE you buy may be more important than WHAT you buy. Pretend you are comparing car A with car B. Car A has a little better reputation for dependability. Car B is sold by a dealer with a better reputation for service. You'll probably be happier with car B. So if the instrument dealer above is a really good dealer, and if this is a brand they are carrying for the long term, then I would not be too wary of buying whichever of the two horns suits your needs. They have a decent return policy.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've done a bit more research, and it seems you are right, it is a cheap knock off of the Yamaha, to be exact, it seems very close in specs to the Yamaha 642 II
    http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...02/?mode=model
    that also has a bore size of 15-16.8mm and a 300mm bell, I have the intention of purchasing it, and will post what it plays like, and the quality of it.

Hi Magnus
    Did you ever buy the I&K horn? I'm in the same boat you were in when you started this thread - trying to find a reasonable euphonium in Australia that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I'm leaning towards a Wessex, but the I&K compensating eupho is $600 cheaper, so I would be interested in your views.
    Cheers
    Tim

6. Quote Originally Posted by Trperry View Post
    Hi Magnus
    Did you ever buy the I&K horn? I'm in the same boat you were in when you started this thread - trying to find a reasonable euphonium in Australia that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I'm leaning towards a Wessex, but the I&K compensating eupho is $600 cheaper, so I would be interested in your views.
    Cheers
    Tim
    I&K are Jinbao instruments imported by someone down in Melbourne.

There is a vendor up in the Central Coast who imports Wessex instruments (they are Jinbao instruments with modifications).
    http://www.wessexbrass.com.au/

In addition there is another vendor up in the Blue Mountains selling "Custom Shop" branded instruments on ebay and Gumtree and I think they are also Jinbao instruments but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks Jeff. I reached out to I&K, who confirmed that the instrument is a jinbao clone, and to BigBandInstruments in the Blue Mountains, who did not respond to my query. Do you know anyone who has or has played an I&K? Apparently the Wessex will be available for a blow at the Sydney Metropolitan Solo Champs and the State Champs. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you end up trying one out.

8. Bit late, being July 2022 but I have the I&K 4 valve compensating silver plate Eupho and love it, fast action and really great tone!!! Bought it new 4 years ago and prefer it to my $7,000 Yamaha which sadly very rarely gets played... Also have their F trigger, large bore trombone, which is also very good. Am contemplating buying their Tuba $1800 based on how pleased I am with the Eupho... Am filling in on Tuba (on a 1928 King Sousaphone) after our tuba guy had a serious accident. Every instrument plays differently for different players, but this is one that I have no regrets in buying.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    The compensating horn seems like the standard copy-of-a-Yamaha clone. As such, it is geared toward being similar to a pro horn in some ways. The non-comp horn seems like it is made for students. The 4th valve pokes through between the 3rd slide and the large branch, so it is made for smaller hands. If your hands are small, that might lead you toward the cheaper horn, but only if you would gladly settle for a little poorer playing experience. But if you are intent on being a long-term player, you might be better off with the compensating horn. It probably has better playing qualities.

You might ask them to double-check the bore measurement, though. The compensating horn says 16.8mm and the non-comp says it is 17.8mm. Both those are really large for a euphonium!

Years ago I came to the conclusion with automobiles that WHERE you buy may be more important than WHAT you buy. Pretend you are comparing car A with car B. Car A has a little better reputation for dependability. Car B is sold by a dealer with a better reputation for service. You'll probably be happier with car B. So if the instrument dealer above is a really good dealer, and if this is a brand they are carrying for the long term, then I would not be too wary of buying whichever of the two horns suits your needs. They have a decent return policy.
    Thanks for sharing the information.

I’d be hesitant to audition from a brand who can’t even their own specs right. 17.8mm bore? What is it, an EEb bass?

It looks terrible quality with a weird low lead pipe, and possibly even worse quality than the Elkhart euphoniums the shop I used to work bought. I don’t recall a single one ever being sold, co-incidentally.

As for the other one it’s a cheap rip off of the rightly disregarded Yamaha Maestro euphonium - not nice to play at all, in my experience.
    Nowt

Retired