Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Method for acquiring proper pitch without reference note

1. Method for acquiring proper pitch without reference note

As someone with no voice training, I've been wrestling with this for some time. That is, singing (or buzzing) let's say a concert C out of the blue with no reference. I stumbled upon something last night that seems promising called the Hey Jude method. All of us are familiar with the opening notes sung by Paul McCartney "Hey Jude" which are C and A. I'll be darned that even without much practice I've been able to make this work somewhat consistently. With daily practice, maybe could get close to 100%. Having these notes as a reference may help landing consistently on the correct partial when starting a piece let's say with no reference note. This is more an issue on the Tuba for me than the Euphonium. Just throwing this out there for those encountering a similar situation as a possible tool. Here's to a nice weekend for all!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

OK, so I sang it out loud, then went to the piano. For me, it was F and A. Maybe I'm a natural tenor . I'll try again at some point to see if I'm consistent. - Carroll

3. I tried singing "Hey Bob" and it came out an octave too low--but I am a bass. My two cents: Some people have "perfect pitch" and would be able to sing a concert C (or whatever) with no reference note. I think I could come within a half step or so--not because I have perfect pitch but because of many years of singing experience, I know how it "feels". When I have had to sing a choir piece up or down a half step from written, it messes me up because it "doesn't feel right". Similarly, when you play a note without pressing any valves, you know it is a concert B flat rather than an F or D, because of how it feels. I think singing something familiar such as you mention will reliably give you the interval, but not the correct starting pitch. However, I think you are correct--if you do it enough so that you know how it is supposed to "feel" you can probably train yourself to come pretty close. Whether that makes it easier to PLAY the correct note, I don't really know.

I just tried "Hey Jude" and was off by a whole step, but at least I got the interval correct.

I think everyone has seen a list, or lists, of songs to help recognize intervals. I have one that uses some pretty old standards.

Last edited by RickF; 07-06-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Another good test is to hold your horn in playing position as you do this. Think of a tune you know well on your horn. Put you fingers on the valves and the mouthpiece on or very near your chops. Even take a breath as though you were going to start the tune. Then sing the first note of the tune. For whatever reason(s) that will usually get me very close to the note I intended to sing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

F and D for me. Getting the interval right is easy; picking the first note out of the air -- not so much. But then it's been a long time since I've listened to "Hey Jude."
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I find this thread very refreshing. I have often struggled with this issue, especially when trading back and forth between tuba and euphonium. I thought it was only me to had this issue. I will try some of these tips to see what works for me.

Funny -- I tried it again this morning. Still F to D.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

9. Just tried it after a no music day... Motorcycle, Busch Gardens.... Nailed a C#
    From some of the responses sounds like Vocal training would be quite handy!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

10. Quote Originally Posted by opus37 View Post
    I find this thread very refreshing. I have often struggled with this issue, especially when trading back and forth between tuba and euphonium. I thought it was only me to had this issue. I will try some of these tips to see what works for me.
    Glad to contribute something helpful. Often when one person has an issue they're not alone!
    Bob Tampa FL USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast