Thread: REVIEW - New Sterling Virtuoso Baritone - Part 1 - History and Pictures

1. REVIEW - New Sterling Virtuoso Baritone - Part 1 - History and Pictures

As some may know, I recently purchased a new Sterling Virtuoso Baritone. I had originally tried the Sterling baritone in July of 2014 when visiting Paul Riggett at his shop in Bedfordshire. At that time he had made up two instruments in raw brass for Sarah Lenton, Principal baritone of Foden's, to audition. One of the horns was in a standard 3-valve compensating configuration with yellow brass bell. The other horn had a heavy red brass bell. During the day I was able to play both to my heart's content. While the standard configuration played well, the horn with the heavy bell was astounding. I found that pitch was great, response was great, and I could easily play soft to very loud without ever having the sound break up. The high range from G up through F above high C (Bb treble clef) was MUCH easier to play softly and in tune than on the 4-valve York 3056 I have been playing for years. Later that evening, Paul gave the two horns to Ms. Lenton to try out during a Bedford Town Band rehearsal. She ended up choosing the heavy bell horn that I liked and took it back to RNCM and Foden's. That horn is now her daily instrument and the one she took on tour to Las Vegas for a solo tour this spring. You can see Ms. Lenton and her horn (still in raw brass) here: http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail...2#.Vfwpg99VhHw

Let's move forward a year. Last spring after selling off some of my vintage horns (my Holton double bell and my SA baritone), I arranged to purchase a new baritone from Sterling. Communication with Paul Riggett helped to set up the specs. Since I already have a Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with the fancy gold trim, I decided to go "over the top" and do the same with my baritone. So the horn you see below is a Sterling Virtuoso Baritone with the optional heavy bell, gold fittings (valve buttons and caps), and gold slides. It is a model 1050HS. The H stands for Heavy Bell, and the S stands for Silver. The horn comes in a standard black plastic case exactly identical to the one a York Preference 3055/56 or a Besson Sovereign 955 uses.

Physically, the horn is very similar to a Besson Sovereign 955, York Preference 3055, or Yamaha NEO baritone in layout, except for the leadpipe. The leadpipe on the Sterling is a bit straighter and sticks out a bit further from the bell than on my York, allowing the horn to be held more like a tenor horn. and less like a euphonium. Also, the lyre attachment (lyre is not included) is on the first valve slide instead of the third valve slide as it is on many other baritones.

On disassembly, I found that the valves are very well done. They appear to use synthetic felts similar to the Besson felts. After a bit of cleaning and a little adjustment, I conclude that they are very smooth, quiet, and very fast. I am currently using my "Mead Springs" for breakin as they are a bit heavier than the stock Sterling springs. Once I get the horn broken in, I will switch back for the lighter action. My only gripe with the valves is that the guides are a bit different from either Yamaha or Besson.

They look like Besson valve guides where the plastic tab hangs over the edge of the piston in its own recess on the piston. However, instead of slipping tightly over a notch in the valve stem, the guides are held in place by a metal washer on the valve stem just like Yamaha guides. I have spare Besson/York baritone guides, and while the outer dimensions are identical to the Sterling, the inner hole that goes around the valve stem is larger on the Besson guides, so they would not properly center on the Sterling. Unfortunately, this means that replacement guides cannot be sourced easily from either your Yamaha repair shop or your Besson repair shop. Bummer.

So now that we have established that this is a good looking horn that is extremely well built, has great valve action, and is about as fancy of a 3-valve baritone as is on the market these days, the real question is: "How does it play?"

For the answer to this question, see Part 2 of this review. You will not be disappointed...!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150811_150945.jpg   20150811_151008.jpg   20150811_151028.jpg   20150811_151053.jpg  
    Last edited by daruby; 09-18-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Very nice, Doug! Thanks for the details and stories, and I'm looking forward to part 2.

As far as "HS" I think you should tell people it designates "Heavenly Sound". Much better marketing!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

what a wonderfull instrument! I hope it plays as well as it looks!! congrats with the purchase!

Congratulations on your new toy Doug. It looks great!

Thanks for taking the time for a thorough review. I too am looking forward to part 'deux' of your review..
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

What a gorgeous baritone. Put it through its paces on YouTube and post the link!
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Many congrats Doug! If she plays half as good as she looks, you have yourself a winner!
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Yeah Doug….congrats!!!
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-