Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking more knowledge about Willson 2950-compatible Mouthpieces

2950 is ALL large (bass trombone size) shank receiver. No medium at all on that model.
    --
    Barry

2. Well, that's certainly explains why the medium shank mp did not fit. Thank you!

As JTJ says above, the 2950T has a large shank.

I've tried a lot of different sizes now, loaned from my local store and my daughter's band director. The best so far has been a Willson 51. The Bach 6 1/2 AL wasn't bad either. I still want to try the SM4X and some of the Mark Curry mouthpieces.

What I've been wondering what benefit there would be to using a heavytop.

Hi there. I also bought a used Willson 2950TA a some months ago just to have a reserve horn of my own and also because I just wanted to own a Swiss made horn - guess where I am from ;-).

The "right" mouthpiece is a very individual question, but as I was in a similar situation I just would like to share my experience. My Willson came with a DC2 mouthpiece. Wonderful tone but just did not fit my face - a little bit too big for me (switching from playing baritone). For some time, I played with a borrowed Denis Wick AL4, but I did not really like the "trombony" sound I produced with it, especially when playing with a little more air... I went to some stores testing mouthpieces and finally stuck with the SM4X. It was the most expensive mouthpiece the specific store had (of course they had only the gold plated one on stock) and I would have preferred buying another one but I just immediately fell in love with that thing! It is true, the cup is quite deep but for me, it is just it. I am playing with it for two weeks now and I am still absolutely happy. And the best thing: It also works fantastic on the Besson Sovereign I play in the brass band. Let's hope I am still happy in a couple of months..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12