Thread: Travel Story from Boston Symphony

Travel Story from Boston Symphony

For a good lesson in how travel can be with an instrument, you NEED to read this:

http://www.tobyoft.com/blog/2015/9/7...46qj4f65mxpvjz
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

That's a scary story. Reminds me of the "United Breaks Guitars" some years back.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Looks like he pulled the story:

"Thanks for retweets! Due to popularity and hope not to taint a fantastic @BostonSymphony tour, I've put Unfriendly Skies on temp hiatus."
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I heard that he didn't want to taint the wonderful European tour the BSO had so pulled it.

You can read some of what transpired at the Boston Globe here:

Carry-on kerfuffle on BSO return trip
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

FYI, folks: I have requested permission to re-post the original blog post on my blog. We'll see what he says. Maybe it would not put a taint on the BSO to have the article somewhat separated from one of their artists.

Thanks for the extra link. I can't get to the Boston Globe article without giving them my email, which I choose not to do. I suppose I could always try my favorite testing address of test@test.com
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Here is a discussion with more details on Tube Net : Traveling the 'unfriendly skies'
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I posted that after Dave's post here.
    It's worth reading 'Tom's' reply in that thread as he's involved with orchestra travel (not the BSO) and knows quite a bit about the problem.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks, Rick. I also posted a reply to Tom's post on TubeNet. The cargo approach is safer but may involve some inconveniences.

I'm hopeful I'll get permission to re-post the original article before long. The MAIN reason I wanted to do so are the lessons (or inferences) I think it offers:
    1. Your experience with airline XYZ on your last flight may be different on your next XYZ flight. (Even allowing for the same airplane type)
    2. The experience your buddy or Steven Mead had on their last flight may be different for their next flight.
    3. The experience your buddy or Steven Mead had on their last flight is even more likely to be different for your next flight. Steven, for example, can probably say "I need the horn in one piece as soon as I land to go perform a world premier for thousands of people, which will be televised and covered in the press."
    4. Having "right" on your side, having the TSA guidelines on musical instruments, may not matter in the end. Lots of these decisions are still up to the flight crew.

Note point #4 particularly. I'm testing my memory here, but I recall the story to be this:
    In the 1980's Elizabeth Dole, the Secretary of Transportation, was coming to the USCG Academy to do the commencement address. She was late getting there. Wanna know why? She got bumped from her commercial flight! There was nothing she could do about it at the time. Now, maybe heads rolled later, but nonetheless she did not ride that plane. The Secretary of Transportation of the United States did not have enough pull to overrule the real-time actions of the flight crew. So what do you think your chances will be if you encounter the wrong crew on the wrong day?
    We all had fun speculating the aftermath when the flight crew conversed with their bosses. "You bumped WHO from the flight?!?! Are you crazy???"
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)