Thread: Jupiter 482

Jupiter 482

I'd been looking for a compact BBb and finally took the plunge, buying a new Jupiter 482. I'd had great luck with the build quality on a Jupiter trumpet years back and felt comfortable with the risk. The horn arrived and I'm quite pleased. Valves are quick, slides fit perfectly and the finish is flawless. In addition, the case is a very nice plastic-clad affair that should hold up well. I'm still trying to find the ideal mouthpiece, but my Conn Helleberg seems to be my best match so far. This horn doesn't suck the air out of me the way my MW 25 did, and it should also blend better in my community band. The MW was just too much! More to follow as I put it through its paces.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Is this what you played on Sunday?
    Chris Bunker
    Adams E1, Wick 4AL

Nope... brought my Wessex Eb. ALL of my pre-concert practice had been with Eb fingerings and I didn't want to risk getting Eb/Bb fingerings mixed up in a performance. I'll bring the Jupiter to next practice.

Congrats on your purchase Pat!

Jupiter update. I've settled on my PT-44 as a mouthpiece. Just enough funnel but not as sharp at the rim as the Conn. It has a MUCH tighter sound than my Eb Wessex. Not sure if that's ideal or not... I'm hoping to bring it to next practice and get a feel for how it blends. Granted, it's a "7/8" tuba, but the Wessex sounds MUCH broader and has a more pleasing tone. Having said that, build quality on the Jupiter is just fabulous. The valves are glorious and I like the removable lead pipe. The finish is perfect. As much as I enjoy the Wessex I have to admit that there's really no comparison when it comes to finish. The brass seems to be MUCH thinner on the Wessex, but of course that may account for its improved tone (thinner = more resonance?). More to follow as I continue to play the horn.

How is your Eb to BBb transition coming along? Are you comfortable with the new BBb horn?
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Meh, I like the bottom end of the BBb, but I keep finding myself going back to the Eb. The Wessex just sounds sublime and the BBb is a bit harsh in comparison. I'm sure that's not an indictment of ALL BBb tubas, since my Reynolds BBb sounded rich, just the sonic characteristics of this Jupiter in my hands. I expect the Jupiter is going to be finding a new home soon, as my tuba space is limited and a horn has to earn its way into my heart.