Thread: FS: Besson Sovereign 967 in FINE Condition - Early 2000's

Thumbs up FS: Besson Sovereign 967 in FINE Condition - Early 2000's

If you are looking for the wonderful Besson sound of yore, this is the nicest British 967 I've seen! It's a one-owner horn described as being in pristine condition. Hard case, mouthpiece, and water catcher included. Starting bid is $3500.

ITEM SOLD FOR $3,500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-Sovereign-Euphonium-BE967-4-valve-compensating-Silver-Finish-/121726506550

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	3296 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	3297 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	35 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	3302
    Last edited by davewerden; 09-01-2015 at 07:57 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Odd thing to see that New Standard valve cap on the bottom of the 4th valve.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Bit of a suspect listing - pictures are a late 1990's / early 2000's Besson Sovereign 967 in BSP albeit with the old NS bottom cap, yet listing states satin silver finish and a serial number from the 1970's?!

Quote Originally Posted by jennyt125 View Post
    Bit of a suspect listing - pictures are a late 1990's / early 2000's Besson Sovereign 967 in BSP albeit with the old NS bottom cap, yet listing states satin silver finish and a serial number from the 1970's?!
    Thanks, Jenny. I can't find the word "satin" anywhere in the listing, though. But your point about the serial number is valid. I have asked the seller for clarification. We'll see how he responds. If I don't hear back from him in a timely manner I will close this thread.

The valve cap doesn't surprise me much. I often see that kind of thing, but it is icky-looking on this otherwise lovely instrument. I wonder if he had a water catcher on the 4th valve and needed the little nipple??? I seem to recall that some horns came with nipples on 1-2-3 but not 4.

I would pull this listing, except this is a seller with 159 feedback ratings and a 5-star average. Despite his musical-sound username, he seems to have sold many more non-music products, so perhaps he doesn't have a lot of euphonium knowledge. His feedback also seems to be spread out over a fairly long period, which I take to be a good thing (he's not a flash in the pan, but seems to be an ongoing business).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

UPDATE: seller responded very quickly and added a photo of the bell/serial number. That shows 892756, I think, which makes it an early 2000's horn. That would seem to match the photo.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

It's a gorgeous horn and I'm sure will be a source of pride to its next owner.

I'm the new(-ish) owner of this horn!

I found this thread while I was looking up the serial number to find a production year for overhaul purposes (and it made me laugh a bit because I couldn't believe I got this horn 6 years ago. It makes me feel old)

The seller told me it was his father's horn and that he purchased it in the 70s, so I definitely don't think it's from the 2000s. I was trying to track down whether it was produced in the 1970s as well, or if it's from earlier, which maybe someone here could help me with figuring out. I've tried to look at the production charts but I can't figure out how to read them

It was, and still is, in almost perfect condition. It has a few small dents and scrapes from use, which are barely noticeable. It's an absolutely beautiful instrument

I played a Sovereign for several years and loved it. I've always loved the Besson sound.